Dogs

Sponsored Links
That's the biggest loads of cods wallop I've ever heard. There was nothing disrespectful in my post at all. This will be put to admin. I still have everything I wrote, so we'll let admin decide shall we? Hmmm?

So if I'm exercising my dog in a field and you come on with your dog on its lead. My dog runs over to say hello, you'll start shouting over to keep my dog away and put it on a lead?
If you insist on keeping your dog on the lead then you shouldn't be in a place where other dogs are exercised off their leads. Your insecurities are your problems and yours alone. Whether you like it or not, your actions actually endanger your dogs, other dogs and yourself. Like I said before, you have it totally wrong.
I see this all the time - always a screaming neurotic woman with one or two dogs on the lead shouting "keep your dogs away". Then she wonders why her dogs are pulling at the lead to get away when she's screaming and bawling and getting tension levels up. These people shouldn't be able to look after dogs.

No, I'm talking walking round the streets. And I don't scream and shout and am not neurotic. I will politely call over to someone asking if they would mind taking a hold of their dog till I pass. In a park or field or whatever, I expect dogs to be off lead and wouldn't ask somebody to take hold of their dog then. But, if I'm walking along the road and someone is silly enough to risk their dog's safety by allowing it to roam off lead on the road, then yes, I will ask them to hold on to it. I've had one instance of being on the opposite side of the road from a large dog and it ran right across the road in front of a car to us - surely asking the owner to hold on to it was more sensible than her not being in control of it enough to stop it running in the road? Am I being unreasonable to think that it's plain stupid to walk a dog on a busy road off lead?

Personally I would not entertain housing a dog with issues. If you cannot train these "issues" out of the dog then it is a danger.

Everyone is entitled to their personal opinions. And mine is that as long as no drunk men accost me or my dogs, then we're fine. And, even though he has issues and is frightened by these type of people, he will still do as he's told and "leave" when told. It's the humans that need the training - you tell THEM to leave and they ignore you.

Don't take my word for it, give a dog trainer a call and ask them whether your actions are the right way to go about it.

I know exactly all about fear aggression and on lead aggression - it's a very common problem. Fortunately, I don't have a problem with on-lead aggression - my dogs will actually ignore any other dog that is on lead and barking and growling and lunging at them. And they do go to training classes and manage very well - where they are all on lead. They do not like having another dog come rushing up to them, taking a dominant, challenging stance and invading their space. How would you feel if a complete stranger came running up to you and invaded your space?

Try reading this article:

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

Maybe you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Nice one Alison, you just made mod 11 look a right wally. :LOL:
No, I'm talking walking round the streets. And I don't scream and shout and am not neurotic.
Didn't say anything about you dear.

I will politely call over to someone asking if they would mind taking a hold of their dog till I pass. In a park or field or whatever, I expect dogs to be off lead and wouldn't ask somebody to take hold of their dog then.
That's not the impression you gave. That's fine.

But, if I'm walking along the road and someone is silly enough to risk their dog's safety by allowing it to roam off lead on the road, then yes, I will ask them to hold on to it.
What's the difference?

I've had one instance of being on the opposite side of the road from a large dog and it ran right across the road in front of a car to us - surely asking the owner to hold on to it was more sensible than her not being in control of it enough to stop it running in the road?
I agree it's stupid behaviour, but it's none of your business.

Am I being unreasonable to think that it's plain stupid to walk a dog on a busy road off lead?
Not in the slightest.

Everyone is entitled to their personal opinions. And mine is that as long as no drunk men accost me or my dogs, then we're fine. And, even though he has issues and is frightened by these type of people, he will still do as he's told and "leave" when told.
What if the damage has already been done?

It's the humans that need the training - you tell THEM to leave and they ignore you.
That's a whole different issue you have there.

I know exactly all about fear aggression and on lead aggression - it's a very common problem.
Glad we're agreed on the fact that it's common.

Fortunately, I don't have a problem with on-lead aggression - my dogs will actually ignore any other dog that is on lead and barking and growling and lunging at them.
That's excellent.

They do not like having another dog come rushing up to them, taking a dominant, challenging stance and invading their space. How would you feel if a complete stranger came running up to you and invaded your space?
And here we are right back where we started with your dogs being on the lead in a field and another dog running up to "say hi."

From your link. http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html
1. Socialize your dog thoroughly with other dogs; for puppies, choose playmates of a similar age and adults who have been well socialized themselves. This means off-lead socialization, not sniffing noses at the end of the lead. The more experience a dog has with other dogs, the more refined his judgment will become about what constitutes rude or foolish behavior and how best to deal with it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Back