Don't reset, FIND the problem

Resetting the codes on any decent panel involves creating a tamper condition at the very least and usually also defaults the master user code too, so it's not an operation that would go unnoticed. Besides, there are much easier ways to defeat an alarm system than defaulting the codes.

Sponsored Links
Of course it would set the alarm off but the miscreant is also there to turn it off again. He might even know the password for the monitoring station or turn it off anyway before the 60 second timeout.

ie a monitored alarm I managed would not get a keyholder response if it was deactivated within one minute. The assumption being a self inflicted false alarm.

The miscreant might be someone nobbling the system so he can come back later and steal things without the system activating even though t is armed.
The log might track when it was armed and disarmed and everything would look normal but the alarm simply would not work.

In all my time in this business I have NEVER seen a system that has been overcome in any way. They have ALWAYS activated if they have been SET (Turned on).

But according to RF he has reset to get to the engineer menu if he does not have a code.
What would then stop someone from disabling zones so that even if the alarm was set nothing would trigger the alarm?

Come back at night break in a Bobs your uncle...
What if? What if?

I could write a whole page or two of What if? scenarios.

It's also a pity that you are not a professional alarm installer, then you would know all the intricacies of the rules and regs issued by assorted bodies that we and manufacturers have to work.

I'm not going any further, you know things work.
It's a pity your greatest supporter doesn't either.

Take care ( sorry to be patronising )

The miscreant might be someone nobbling the system so he can come back later and steal things without the system activating even though t is armed.
The log might track when it was armed and disarmed and everything would look normal but the alarm simply would not work.
With some systems the miscreant can steal things without the system activating even though it is armed on his first visit to the property, No need to have had prior access to the panel or the wiring. He just needs a small readily available " tool " in his pocket.

Sponsored Links
In all my time in this business I have NEVER seen a system that has been overcome in any way. They have ALWAYS activated if they have been SET (Turned on).

But according to RF he has reset to get to the engineer menu if he does not have a code.
What would then stop someone from disabling zones so that even if the alarm was set nothing would trigger the alarm?

Come back at night break in a Bobs your uncle...
What if? What if?

I could write a whole page or two of What if? scenarios.

. . . .except one obvious ommission . 'What if I was actually correct'

Resetting the codes on any decent panel involves creating a tamper condition at the very least and usually also defaults the master user code too, so it's not an operation that would go unnoticed. Besides, there are much easier ways to defeat an alarm system than defaulting the codes.
Don't know very much about ''decent' panels do you?
I can even think of 20yr old panels that you don't need to open.

Short form - there are 'decent' (your word) and many, panels that require a code to be entered by first by the customer and then the alarm company and to gain access to engineering.

It's also a pity that you are not a professional alarm installer, then you would know all the intricacies of the rules and regs issued by assorted bodies that we and manufacturers have to work.

I don't envy you. Most of the rules and regs are totally unnecessary boxticking brought on your industry by previous alarm companies cutting the corners and taking the money and running.

I had a job in an industry regulated to the Nth degree where even everything you ever said or decided was recorded to leave an audit trail for future litigation. Even with that level of control incompetence was everywhere along with dishonesty greed , laziness , avoidance of responsibility.

Rules don't intrinsically change behaviours or improve standards they just allow lawyers to earn money.

Most of the rules and regs are totally unnecessary boxticking brought on your industry by previous alarm companies cutting the corners and taking the money and running.
I was tasked with designing an interface between an site intruder detection system and a radio paging system such that security staff were coverted informed by their pagers about the movements of the intruder. This gave me direct access to the alarm company's design staff. Their rules and regulations which I had to comply with are set by the need to ensure that security is maintained at all times.

Not only at the customer's site but also in the installer's record keeping, staff vetting and other preventive measures. Box ticking helps to ensure that if there is a failure then those staff involved can be identified and the errors failings or ommissions do not happen again and any loop holes are found and removed.

EDIT I made an error. I have re worded the last paragraph

I don't envy you. Most of the rules and regs are totally unnecessary boxticking brought on your industry by previous alarm companies cutting the corners and taking the money and running.
Go on then. Explain to us the details of how, why etc.

The same reasons insurance companies and the police require iinstallers to be NSI or SSIA.

I had a job in an industry regulated to the Nth degree where even everything you ever said or decided was recorded to leave an audit trail for future litigation. Even with that level of control incompetence was everywhere along with dishonesty greed , laziness , avoidance of responsibility.

Rules don't intrinsically change behaviours or improve standards they just allow lawyers to earn money.
Your last sentence shows your total ignorance of the Security Industry.

One of the, if not THE, most important differences between 'you & us' is that our systems are installed to different EU standards that are acceptable to insurance companies, police etc.

An important point for your customers to be aware is that your systems are not acceptable to insurance companies.

An important point for your customers to be aware is that your systems are not acceptable to insurance companies.
I am aware of an insurance claim where the householder claimed there had been a break in to his house. The loss adjuster saw there was a DIY alarm fitted. ( apparently the insurance company had not been informed) The alarm log recorded the alarm had been set before the claimed break in and unset after the claimed breakin but no alarm had been logged at the time of the claimed break in. On this evidence the insurance company dismissed the claim and implied it was a fraudulent claim An expert witness was needed to show how a break in could be achieved without a record being made in the alarm's log.

The same reasons insurance companies and the police require iinstallers to be NSI or SSIA.
Nope, come on, enlighten us to these rules and regs you allude to.And what corner cutting?

Not only at the customer's site but also in the installer's record keeping, staff vetting and other preventive measures. Box ticking helps to ensure that if there is a failure then those staff involved can be identified and the errors failings or omissions do not happen again and any loop holes are found and removed.
I had not thought of the Vetting, thanks for mentioning it Bernard.

@mdf290

Well Slow, are you Security Vetted to install DiY systems, I would guess not.

Please let us know, a simple Yes I am or No I'm not vetted, would suffice, it's not a difficult question.

The answer would mean so much to us professionals.

Exemplary service record and an enhanced crb. No criminal convictions or cautions other than traffic offences (speeding)

an enhanced crb actually is a higher clearance than a std crb as it clears me to be with children and vunerable people.

I suspect a security vetting only asks for a std crb. Do you have an enhanced crb?
Excellent credit rating - no ccjs
My rating really could not be any higher.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back