down lighters MDF??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make a centre section of the living room ceiling lower than the rest by about 75mm.
I was going to do this by fitting a timber frame through to the beams and then fitting some MDF onto the frame.
My question is will MDF be safe to fit down lighters into or will the heat create a problem?

I was looking at something like this
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1231185359852&isSearch=true

Sponsored Links
You need a fitting suitable for mounting directly onto a flammable material.

All suitable fittings will have a letter F inside an upside down triangle on them.

Like this one for example:

It is very difficult for MDF to burst into flame but it does count as a flammable surface.

You should look for F-marked fittings (designed for use on a normally flammable surfaces). The fitting with tell you what power lamp you can use it may be 35watts rather than the 50W you could use on a plasterboard surface.

AFAIK those cheapo B&Q ones aren't F-marked.

Edit: curses RF, don't you ever rest... ;)

Sponsored Links
Why dont you use plasterboard instead?, mdf i would imagine would get very heavy.

thanks for the replies,will look for some with the F marked symbol,did think of using plasterboard but want curves on it and not sure how the edges would turn out.

You might be better off using these

With respect, it would seem that you do not understand what a fire-rated downlight is for nor the difference between a fire-rated fitting and an F-marked fitting.

in fairness I figured his point was that CFL's run cooler, which is a good point, I'm uncomfortable fitting halgen lighting to wood evan when it's supposedly F-rated :confused:

I certainally wouldn't use fire-rated fittings anyway, the enclosed space makes them run hotter, open back fittings and fire hoods for me...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back