Downlighters for hallway

Hi, any half bowl plaster uplighter, typically 40w. You're layout is fairly standard, i normally install 1 uplighter on the return wall over the stairs and bounce the light of the stairwell ceiling. (the wall facing you as you come down the stairs.

The wall on your plan with the single door is the wall i would install 2 lights one each side of the door.

Regards,

DS

At what height would you install these:-

For the two either side of the door (ie in the landing)?
For the one on the return wall over the stairs?

Sponsored Links
If you wanted downlights, I would probably stick 2 on the landing and 2 over the stairwell. Use LED fittings as you won't want to be getting up there to replace halogen lamps every three weeks! ;)

Well after bringing the uplighters to our (hers!) attention (courtesy of this thread!), the missus has decided to go for two uplighters in the landing (either side of the top door) and one uplighter on the back of the stairwell (ie the wall we see when coming down the stairs).

Any thoughts on different types of uplighters / recommendations, specifically for the locations we're looking to install them?

Any specific technical recommendations eg max wattage, led or halogen, purely uplighter or part downlighter?

Sponsored Links
Off to the big orange shed to-day ? 40w per fitting will be more than enough light.

Regards,

DS

Off to the big orange shed to-day ? 40w per fitting will be more than enough light.

Regards,

DS

We've had a look online and saw a couple we like.

What type should we get - led or standard halogen fitting?

What are your thoughts on an uplighters that also partially allows light to filter downwards?

Hi, led is the way to go. If the walls are a strong colour the down light will highlight the colour.

Regards,

DS

Hi, led is the way to go. If the walls are a strong colour the down light will highlight the colour.

Regards,

DS

We're just going for the uplighters (3 of them - 2 either side of the door on the landing and one on the return wall on the stairwell).

Do u mean the uplight (not downlight) will highlight the colour?

Hi, you asked about light fittings with a light slot filtering the light out the underside of the fitting ?

Regards,

DS

Hi, you asked about light fittings with a light slot filtering the light out the underside of the fitting ?

Regards,

DS

Yes I did - apologies. So based on your experience would you recommend an uplightee that partially filters light downwards?

Regarding the led, do we need a particular light fitting that is led compatible (if so, what should we be looking for in the item description to determine this)?

Hi, it's really your personal taste. Re the led question you can buy a standard fitting e27 lamp and fit an led bulb, the blue and yellow shed does those very cheaply !

DS

Hi, it's really your personal taste. Re the led question you can buy a standard fitting e27 lamp and fit an led bulb, the blue and yellow shed does those very cheaply !

DS

Can I ask who the blue and yellow shed is? I thought Screwfix initially but am now doubting myself!!!

Oh yes.

7928917-azul-y-amarillo-shed-de-camara-boat-de-bano-en-la-playa-de-mills-peninsula-de-mornington--melbourne-.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back