Drain Rod Retrieval??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

In my limited time in the drainage business, I have often found myself trying to retrieve some plank's rods after he's had a crack at unblocking the drain before his sunday dinner.

Unfortunately there's not always a second manhole to push them down to and so they have to come back out the way they came. We do have a colour camera unit with helps tremendously but from what I've seen retrieval equipment is fairly limited and it takes hours. Does anyone know of any retrieval equipement like a hydraulic pincer/grabber able to access 4'' pipes?? Many thankyous ;)

Sponsored Links
The only thing i can come up with, and sure you must have seen one, even proberbly have one is the normal drain rod with a single curly end, that you just hook with a quick spin, over the ferral of the departed rods ?

Iv'e even seen them advertised on ebay a a single screw retriever as opposed to the normal double !

Dont think the guy knew what he was on about!

Anyway, i have just set up in drainage,first adverts this weekend,so will be watching with intrest.

would this help its 6 foot long?

Grappler_Hook_3C.jpg

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Grappler-hook

or

dblwormall.jpg

double worm screw :eek:

http://www.wakefieldbrush.com/rodaccess.html

I am a little facinated by drain clearing although its not something I would normally do for a customer.

Dosen't the hinged half moon scraper usually work to help retrieve an unscrewed rod?

Presumably these are screwed rods where the user has forgotten to keep twisting them in the right direction to keep them screwed up tight?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Dosen't the hinged half moon scraper usually work to help retrieve an unscrewed rod?

I suppose if it was in reach and not 20' away,it could help, i read screwfix plumbing last night, all 100 pages, and can't recall one tool for this purpose,

Still hav'ent seen the tool i'm on about that will do the job, can someone find it ? can't do pictures on here, so bit pointless me diggin it out.

youv'e quite a few posts on there tony.

if you twist those worm screws when you catch the rod as you twist then the worm wrap progessively on to the rod drawing it to the narrowing coil at the centre.

most of my work is on sewage treatment works, so i recognise the smell :LOL:

The worm screws are good but are sometimes difficult to manoeuvre and nogotiate bends when you have medium to deep manhole. The standard rods are thick in diameter and I've struggled to get the camera down at the same time.

I came across this lateral cuuter and thought perhaps there may be a compressor driven grabber. (If only! Then I could spare myself writhing around in the sweet stuff!) Expensive stuff this drain equipment..

http://www.anthire.co.uk/productdetail.php?prodid=297&catid=52&level=0

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back