Draining the highest radiator on a sealed combi baxi 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I'm on the last few days of my bathroom project.
Yesterday I removed a cheap tatty radiator from the bathroom and want to replace it with a towel rail type.

The existing rad pipes come up through the floorbords at 730 ctrs, the new rad will have 550 ctrs.
I have located the pipe under the floor I wish to move to create the desired ctrs.

Several questions;
Can I just cut the pipe to accept a new T-connector and then blank of the old pipe just below the floor with a speedfit stopper, or do I need to remove the T on the old pipe and added a standard connector?

The radiator is one of two in the loft space, so can I simply turn off the combi boiler, and turn off the valves of the second radiator before cutting removing the old valves from radiator 1. (will be towell warmer rad)

This would then only need me to drain the water from the pipe on in the loft, so I can do this with a frying pan... is this correct?

I then plan to add the new towell rad with new valves, open up the air valve at the top and the filling loop under the boiler.
And yes, then add some inhibitor to the radiator wia the air valve.

I would like to do this tom, so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Franc

Sponsored Links
You can do the pipes in any way that suits you.
Why not just drain the system in stead of faffing about?

Sounds positive then.
I just don't want to bleed all the downstairs radiators and add new inhibitor.
Funny comment though, my partner always says I faff about with diy.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
i would drain the radiators on the level of the house you will be working on .open the drain valve if accessible and open the rad bleed points of the rads you will be working on .

you will need to alter the pipework to suit .you may be better moving the t pieces so that your pipes come straight up from the floor into your rad .

then fill and flush after completion

Thanks guys,
I Turned off the valve and thermostat in the bedroom next door and then cut the pipe to the radiator in the bathroom - drained a good pint.
Then moved the pipe, via a speefit join and all ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back