Electric courses ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everybody

I am interested in electrics, have some basic knowledge, not very much though just basic domestic, and would like to learn more. Are there any good courses available that I could go on possibly or any good books available or even a course i maybe able to learn gradually by at home and possibly some that may lead up to a qualification in the long run?

Sponsored Links
Where do you want to be ?

Do you want to work for someone else, or are you more interested in doing something that is stand alone (and would you have the skill set for the grind of routing cables under floors, in voids, breaking in back boxes, siting kit etc).

Base format is a few years at college doing the 2330 parts 1-3 for fullest qualification.

Some, such as mates with a few years experience or alternative trades such as alarm, telecom, cabling and engineering simply do the Part P course via an approved scheme provider and enter (tentatively) in to the world of domestic installations. These vary from a minor change to a full rewire of a footballers house, so again the practical skill set is as important as the paper qualification.

To get a JIB ticket, do full fat 2330 then BS2381 / 2391 which will get you a golden wonder season ticket to the wide world of commercial contracting work- about 4 years training and a need to hook up with a firm as a mate / junior. Part P is still required for domestic, as in you must register and be assessed on your work by a scheme provider.

I have done Part P (5 day course / £700) and then followed on with the BS7671 / 2381 (3 day course £500).
I'm ex BT and spent 20 years hands on in offices, factories, schools, listed buildings. residential houses, flats, mansions so my skill set for bashing and cabling had parity with the requirements of 75% of my electricians work.
Without that skill I would have struggled to quote successfully and be able to do the work to the quality and demands required.

The OSG (on site guide) is a good reference book, but I'd go to ebay and see if you can find some Part P course material, and BS2381 material and have a read up of that.

If you go back a few weeks of posts I am sure someone put up a link to the BS2381 dummy exams. Might be worth having a look and a play with those.

Thank you for all your help and info.

I would like to work for someone possibly in a year or so if I can take a year long course possibly that will qualify me to work with / for someone as like a mate?

or even to work alone in the future after experience.

are any of the courses 1 year or under ... i'd like to start from basic electrics and work upwards if possible.

College / day or evening classes 6 hours plus a week will get you 2330 level 1 or it might be 2331 (the numbers have changed with the new arrival of the 17th 2008).

Shame your enquiry wasn't a month or so earlier, Most colleges have been running classes since early October.

Ring around and see if any will start in January. After doing the 1st year you might find someone willing to employ you, but the wages will be boy rates.

Sponsored Links
ok thanks i will, i'll ring round / search the web for some colleges.

hmm i am guessing the course can go on for like 3 years in total?
(3 certificates ??)
if you say after the 1st year is successfully completed, i could apply for a job as a mate? even with low wages it would be better than i am now with the chance to progress possibly after more training/experience?

Books by Brian Scaddan,John Whitfield or Trevor lynsley are all worth a read try ebay type in electrical installation or try waterstones

If you want to do it do it right!!!

Get on a 2330 Course (already begun but you might still) I did Level 1 - 3 in 47 weeks and 17th Ed. and 2391.

Experience IS key or you could bite the bullet and go self employed right away

if you have a mortgauge, forget it

So don't agree with Breezer, but yes it is a BIG risk.

These short Part P courses as people refer to them, most the lads on here will probably agree they give you the ticket but feck all skill sets.

It is hard work doing 6 hours a week on top of work (never mind the extras at home on the bog :)

But I for one have no regrets at all.

Went self employed on 1st of Sept. Gave up £40k+ a year!!!

within 3 days had a month sub contracting in London, a little queit patch and since then ramped out, mainly with domestic re-wires all the way to xmas :D :D

First time I have fallen in sh1te and come up smelling like House of Frazier

Breath deep, jump in...........................................

These short Part P courses as people refer to them, most the lads on here will probably agree they give you the ticket but f**k all skill sets.
Basically if you aren't a good 80-90% of the way there already you'll struggle to get through one of those, especially the ones run over 4-5 days, and you'll not come out equipped to do the job even if you manage to pass.

With the economy going the way it is you should probably take it more slowly anyway, rather than trying to break into a job market at the same time as all the sparks recently employed by housebuilders decide to go self-employed...

thanks for all your help. i will get a book and try and enrol on a college eveing course, hopefully some will start in the new year!!

i have heard of part p also, but thought part p was for plumbers, etc who wanted to be able to wire up a boiler legally, etc?? i didn't think p was a full electrical qualification?

looks like you may be in for a shcok :LOL: try searching the forum for part P

why a shock?!

the part p course is a few weeks isn't it - it can't be a whol electric course surely?!

Hi there

Just for info Part P is not a course - it is a section of the Building Regulations relating to electrics (there are also parts L. M etc relating to other stuff).

Part P courses are advertised, but they mean diddly squat! City and Guilds 2330, 2382 and 2392 are the way to go!

Good luck

SB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back