Electric shock treatment

I'm sorry softus but i understood what bernard was saying you didnt so that is why i posted, if you cannot understand the difference between a voltage potential and a potential difference then why are you posting?

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry softus but i understood what bernard was saying you didnt so that is why i posted, if you cannot understand the difference between a voltage potential and a potential difference then why are you posting?
So many questions, so little time...

I started posting because bernardgreen was using the wrong words. I'm not the only one to have noticed.

I'm now posting to you because you're posting utter rubbish.

I understand what you mean, and it's a non-concept. If you read my deliberately flippant procedure then you'd know that I understand perfectly.

Your made-up phrase "voltage potential" is meaningless and pointless. If you disagree, then please correct me by using it in any sentence that has meaning and purpose.

PS I have very little respect for people who start sentences with "I'm sorry" and proceed to demonstrate that they are not at all sorry.

So many questions, so little time...

I started posting because bernardgreen was using the wrong words. I'm not the only one to have noticed.

I'm now posting to you because you're posting utter rubbish.

I understand what you mean, and it's a non-concept. If you read my deliberately flippant procedure then you'd know that I understand perfectly.

Your made-up phrase "voltage potential" is meaningless and pointless. If you disagree, then please correct me by using it in any sentence that has meaning and purpose.

PS I have very little respect for people who start sentences with "I'm sorry" and proceed to demonstrate that they are not at all sorry.
Softus you have a habit of disregarding what people say for your own gain, if you have never heard of the term a voltage potential then you have no right to be posting in this thread as you are clueless!

i've already given you a theory lesson which you choose to ignore so be an ignoramous if you so wish it doesnt bother me if you understand or not.

you obviously dont understand the principles of charge, capacitors, resorvoirs, volt drop or the like, so how can you possibly give any useful input to this thread? best you stay out of it dont you think and leave the answering to those that do understand what is being said.

tim west said:
if you have never heard of the term a voltage potential then you have no right to be posting in this thread as you are clueless!
Firstly, I have as much right as anyone else to post. If you disagree then please Email admin.

Secondly, if you have a definition of "votage potential" then why don't you go right ahead and post it? :rolleyes:

i've already given you a theory lesson which you choose to ignore so be an ignoramous if you so wish it doesnt bother me if you understand or not.
Clearly you are bothered, or you wouldn't have claimed to be giving anyone a "lesson".

you obviously dont understand the principles of charge, capacitors, resorvoirs, volt drop or the like
On the contrary: the only one of those I don't understand is "resorvoirs" (sic.). Is that something to with dogs?

best you stay out of it dont you think and leave the answering to those that do understand what is being said.
Like you and bernardgreen? Don't make me laugh.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've just been called out to deal with a power failure. I'll check in later to see how deep a hole you've dug for yourself.

Sponsored Links
If you think your last post had anything constructive to say except you trying to make light of what i previously said in order to cover the fact that you havn't a strong enough argument then you are very sad.

Re the term voltage potential see above , proves you dont read posts properly and then get your "facts" wrong.

Softus said:
Now, if you'll excuse me, I've just been called out to deal with a power failure
Probably one of his previous jobs ;) :LOL:

Just to butt in here, I have worked in the electrical industry for 20 years (since leaving school) and have had a varied experience in a good deal of electrical fields.The only terms I am familiar with are Voltage and Potential Difference.
If the term Voltage Potential is in use then it must be in the Electronic sector as that is a less familiar field for me.

The term "voltage potential" has no meaning outside tim west's head.

Re-reading his Ladybird book level guide to Christmas lights, he appears to think that a 'potential difference' always equates to a 'voltage drop' across a component. No wonder he's confused.

ricicle its easy it means theres a potential for a voltage which can be read with a meter or measuring device that potential is only that a potential its not till a circuit is made does the voltage drop across any resistance in the circuit and then current can flow, its really fundermental stuff, do they not teach that in college anymore?? the very act of connecting a meter completes a circuit and thus reads the PD across that circuit unless of course there is no difference such as reading live to live.

think of potential as a voltage waiting to do something when it connects into a circuit then a potential difference exists if and only if the resistance in that circuit allows a potewntial difference to exist if that circuit is held open by an air gap for instance then it ceases to be a circuit anymore and the PD becomes just a potential voltage once more if you dont know what that means then how do you understand that a live wire can be live even without a completed circuit, its at live potential whatever voltage potential that means in the place you live(sorry for the pun)

ricicle its easy it means theres a potential for a voltage which can be read with a meter or measuring device that potential is only that a potential its not till a circuit is made does the voltage drop across any resistance in the circuit and then current can flow, its really fundermental stuff, do they not teach that in college anymore?? the very act of connecting a meter completes a circuit and thus reads the PD across that circuit unless of course there is no difference such as reading live to live.

think of potential as a voltage waiting to do something when it connects into a circuit then a potential difference exists if and only if the resistance in that circuit allows a potewntial difference to exist if that circuit is held open by an air gap for instance then it ceases to be a circuit anymore and the PD becomes just a potential voltage once more if you dont know what that means then how do you understand that a live wire can be live even without a completed circuit, its at live potential whatever voltage potential that means in the place you live(sorry for the pun)

I know the basic City and Guilds stuff - it's the term I have never seen used. ;)

Common terminology in the electronics industry also Ricicle ... Voltage potential between components on a board can be extremely important in many applications (particularly aerospace).

If you want some theory ...

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=154095

There are many other applications and I'm surprised old Softy Boy hasn't Googled them all by now :LOL:

MW

It can only be a voltage potential in relation to some other voltage potential so there there must be a difference = Potential Difference for it potentially to be a voltage in relation to.

"LIVE" (Phase) can only be such in respect to some other = Earth say.

Otherwise it has no voltage potential because it has nothing to be different to.

aand that is (potentially of course) the crux of it!!

thats where you are misunderstanding it, they are different a voltage potential or potential voltage whichever way you prefer is different to a potential difference which has a reference point to the "live" without a reference how can you have a pd? oh sorry you must be able to as softus says so :rolleyes:

The term "voltage potential" has no meaning outside tim west's head.

Re-reading his Ladybird book level guide to Christmas lights, he appears to think that a 'potential difference' always equates to a 'voltage drop' across a component. No wonder he's confused.
I said a resistance, wish you could read! :rolleyes: if there's no volt drop there cant be a potential difference simple stuff, maybe thats why you dont get it? as you are simple aswell :LOL:

A voltage or voltage potential only exists as a difference to a refference say earth for example

tim west said:
if there's no volt drop there cant be a potential difference
That is 100% incorrect.

I challenge you to find someone who agrees with you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back