Electric shower cuts out after 5 mins

B32
IMG-20220921-WA0007.jpg

Sponsored Links
Does this mean I need to get a higher amp MCB for it?

I have only opened the consumer unit once to replace one of the other MCB's. Is it legal for me to replace or do i need to get a qualified electrician to do it?
No ,you can't just swap the MCB for a higher rated one before establishing the size of the cable it's protecting.
What exactly is the kilowatt rating of the shower ?

What did you replace in the past ? Hopefully not a higher amperage breaker than was there originally ?

Sponsored Links
That's a very good question
No ,you can't just swap the MCB for a higher rated one before establishing the size of the cable it's protecting.
What exactly is the kilowatt rating of the shower ?
That's a very good question. I had the shower unit replaced some years ago. I THink it was a 9.5kw.

I was just thinking, the run from the CU to the trip switch is only a few meters. Would it be worth replacing that for a 16mm for future proofing. The trip switch is directly behind the shower in the kitchen, so that would be easy to replace. I wouldn't do the trip to shower my self

No, it was like for like.
Ok.
A 32amp circuit is wholly unsuitable for a 9.5kw shower. That would draw around 41 amps at 240 volts.
Hence the 32amp MCB is tripping. How many years has the shower been running on that breaker ?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ok.
A 32amp circuit is wholly unsuitable for a 9.5kw shower. That would draw around 41 amps at 240 volts.
Hence the 32amp MCB is tripping. How many years has the shower been running on that breaker ?
It was installed around 5 years ago by a electrician.

Once I confirm the actual kW rating, what would I need for a 9.5?

My advice would be install a 10mm² T&E cable , if it isn't already ,and 45amp MCB. If you have an isolation switch on the circuit that may need to be upgraded to a similar amperage rating .
A site visit by an electrician who can establish the existing cable size , Length and installation method may judge it possible to just upgrade the MCB.

The cable is in ducting, so I can double check that. The total length is close enough to about 4m.

Have a look at the cable ,the size should be embossed on the outer sheath.
It not ,show us a pic of the wiring inside the shower , particularly the earth conductor ( power off first obviously).

This is what is embossed on the cable:
BASEC 078 BS6004 6242 YH 2 x 6 + 2.5 PX 42

20220922_142612.jpg

The cable is 6mm². And the showers Kwatt rating is as you thought it was ,9.5kw.

I assume that reads from "2 x 6 + 2.5 PX 42"
2 x = 2 core
6 = 6mm²
+ 2.5 = 2.5mm cables in the cores?

Given its a 9.5kw and assuming under rated cable, are we still suggesting going with a 10mm cable, a 45A MCB and potentially isolated upgrade to 45A (if not already)?

Having opened the shower unit, it looks like a strait swap and pull through job to change the 30cm of cable between shower unit and isolator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back