Electric shower cuts out after 5 mins

You should not change the MCB for one with a higher rating if that's your intention.
The person that installed the circuit has judged that a 32amp breaker was suitable to protect the circuit cable.
Your shower appears to be drawing current at a level that the existing cable is carrying at its upper limit within its method of installation.
Do yourself a favour and engage an electrician to install an upgraded circuit
Yes, Very good point.

I was in a house a few years ago where the house owner had his 9kw electric shower (with 6mm2 cable and protected with a 40A/30ma RCBO) changed to a hot&cold integrally pumped Triton AS2000XT shower and who ever had installed it had left the the same RCBO and wiring in place, don't know how the 6mm2 cable was terminated in the shower but the same cable certainly appeared to (rear) enter the shower, this shower probably only draws a amp or two so was/is this against regulations or, at least should the the RCBO have been changed to a 5A or whatever?.

Sponsored Links
The overcurrent protective device is there to protect the circuit cable from carrying current in excess of what it can safely carry. Putting a shower on that draws less current than the original shower isn't an issue.

So both then. I will change the MCB first as that is the more economical and shorter time change. See if that has any impact. Then swap the cable out
Changing the MCB to a higher rating will ( probably ) prevent the shower from cutting out but will mean the cable will not longer be protected from overload, The overheating of the cable will be increased as the higher rated MCB will not be cutting power

Replace cable first, then the MCB,

Sponsored Links
To stay within regulations maybe get a new 32A MCB installed, if the tables below are accurate and your cable load is 38A then that MCB theoretically shouldn't trip for between 15 and 25 minutes, all a bit borderline I suppose.,

1668974275802.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back