Electric Shower tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently started a bathroom Reno at home my husband is a multi trader so is doing the work himself. We have now completed but we are having issues with the electric shower.
It’s the original eletric unit we had before we started but changed to a new shower etc.
my husband ran the shower yesterday for 10 mins worked fine. Went to have a shower last night and the electrics tripped. But only for the shower nothing else. We have checked all the cabling, the fuses everything but cannot work out why.

Any ideas

Sponsored Links
So new shower but existing isolator? What Kw rating shower? What existing cable size is installed? What size mcb is at the consumer unit? Is it the mcb or rcd that’s tripping?

Hi sorry got more info. Basically it doesn’t have its own rdc it’s running off sockets from upstairs could this be the case causing an overload?

Think we may have worked what is is out. Basically it’s a 9.5kw shower connected to a fuse spur but the amp is 13!!! Hence the trip out. My husband has spoke to his sparky friend who recommend fitting a junction box with a 40amp fuse connected sealed in a box. Would this fix the trip?

Sponsored Links
9.5 kwatt shower requires it's own dedicated electric circuit. Is that what you are describing ?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi Terry,

Yes correct the shower has its own circuit. But is currently running off a fuse spur on 13amp…

Is it correct to replace the fuse spur with a fuse junction box running off 40amp to avoid the tripping? The shower is an aqua max

Show us a picture of your consumer unit / fusebox ,and tell us the amperage of the protective device in there( fuse or circuit breaker)that the circuit is connected to.

Show us a picture of your consumer unit / fusebox ,and tell us the amperage of the protective device in there( fuse or circuit breaker)that the circuit is connected to.
Hi sorry got more info. Basically it doesn’t have its own rdc it’s running off sockets from upstairs could this be the case causing an overload?

Yes correct the shower has its own circuit. But is currently running off a fuse spur on 13 amp ..
So, it does not have its own circuit.

A 9500 W shower draws almost 40 A (!!!!),
requires its own circuit
with appropriately sized conductors (at least 6 mm² in "Free Air" - otherwise, 10 mm²)
and
"Protected" by is own 40 A RCBO at the "CU".
Is it correct to replace the fuse spur with a fuse junction box running off 40amp to avoid the tripping?
NO !

Last edited:
"it's own circuit" means it should have its own dedicated fuse (MCB or RCBO) of correct size at Fuse box (consumer unit) and it's own dedicated cable of correct size from that Fuse in Fuse box to the shower.
Suggest you get your sparky friend to fit it as it also needs paperwork.

With a distinct lack of images to show what the situation is, it is absolutely impossible to give meaningful advice.
Should we be giving advice in this situation and the description of the ops. qualifications. I get the impression he does this for a living and perhaps for customers who he charges for his services and creates dangerous situations. One hears a lot about cowboy builders. Hope I am completely wrong though.

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back