Electric Shutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric roller shutter on an outbuilding at the new place we are buying. There is a key switch outside mounted on the wall that you are supposed to use to activate the shutter.

Unfortunately the key is nowhere to be found and therefore I am unable to get the shutter to raise. I have managed to raise it about 18 inches , manually so I can get inside and access the JB that feeds the motor. I think it has 4 wires that run to the motor. My guess would be an earth a neutral and a live for going up and another for going down.

I cant be sure how the supply to the outbuilding is routed and I havent so far been able to get the power on. I can however get an extension lead to the building and was wondering whether I could go directly to the JB and by pass the switch. I will only need to do this once as after the shutter is fully raised I will be able to sort out a new switch and investigate the current supply.

Question is how would I attach the appropriate cable to power up the motor?? Earth to Earth, Neutral to Neutral and Live to one of the 2 lives?? (if my assumptions are correct....)

Cheers

D

Sponsored Links
You need to be extremely careful if you attempt this, and you need to be certain of what you are connecting to.

There will almost certainly be limit switches and overloads in the control wiring which may not function if you connect to the wrong thing.

Can you not just manually raise the shutter all the way?

Sponsored Links
Unsure to be honest whether its 3 phase or single phase. The supply to the barn is 3 phase so I guess it is?? I cant find how the outhouse is supplied and I havent to date been able to get the power on.

There doesnt seem to be any sort of panel other than the key switch an d the JB mounted inside the building.

D

there should be a ratings plate on the motor, can you try and find and read it?

If you can see the mains cable for it, can you follow where the cable goes? Can you follow the cable from the switch?

dunny said:
. My guess would be an earth a neutral and a live for going up and another for going down.

That is one way to operate a motor forward and reverse. But there is also a capacitor involved.

Live is connected directly to one coil [1] and via a capacitor to the other coil [2]. The capacitor provides a phase shifted supply to the [2] coil to determine the direction of rotation. To reverse direction coil [2] is connected directly and the capacitor provides the shifted phase to coil [1] . A single capacitor is connected connected between the two "lives". If this is in the motor then you can drive the motor by putting live to one or other of the lives. If there is no capacitor visible outside the motor then 99% certain it is in the motor.

Get a locksmith to fit a new barrel into the switch! :rolleyes:

all the roller shutters i've ever seen are SP, but as i said, surely its a case of changing the lock barrel or the switch unit.

Crafty said:
Get a locksmith to fit a new barrel into the switch! :rolleyes:

all the roller shutters i've ever seen are SP, but as i said, surely its a case of changing the lock barrel or the switch unit.

not a lot of use since the op said

dunny said:
........and I havent so far been able to get the power on.........

Breezer, you took the words right out of my mouth.

EDIT grr too late, you only quoted me before, there was no other text.

OK, so get the power on and then change the barrel . . . lol

I think getting the power on is going to be the biggest problem. You naky have spotted from oneof my other threads that the whole electric supply is coming out soon. Its shared with the farm house and I will have a single phase supply put in. I have a feeling that this circuit is one of the circuits that has no fuse in at the main CU. Would be a little worried about energising it if that is the case. Not sure what might happen.

Thats why I wanted to just poer the motor up once and get the shutter lifted. I can then do the rest at my leisure. Wouldnt mind but there's only a diesel pump behind the shutter!!!!

D

Only if I strip the shutter box off. I can get access to the cables that feed the motor as there is a JB inside where the cables must join the supply and go to the switch. Thats why I was wondering whether I could bypass at this point and get the motor to wind the shutter up. I would have to provide the supply as well though as I cant see how the outbuilding is powered up.

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back