Electrician came to work today.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently posted about our firm getting an electrician in to fit 2 bulkhead lights on the outside wall.

Well he came today while I was out on a site job. He had fitted 2 Halogen spotlights with 500 watt lamps and connected them to a spare B6 mcb in a consumer unit on the rcd side. He had run a length of 1.5mm T+E through the wall to a double pole weatherproof switch, from the switch he had then run a length of blue arctic back into the factory and up the wall to a 20A junction box. From this he had then taken a length of the same to each lamp, drilling the wall and taking the cable out behind them. After he had gone one of the lads decided to try them and said they gave a brief flash then went out. I was asked to check the bulbs on my return but before getting the ladders out etc I checked the CU and found the mcb tripped. When I tried to reset it it wouldn't stay in. There is a spare B10 mcb but it is on the non-rcd side. When he comes back will he be able to take the feed from here instead? My boss wants to know how easy is it to fix.
Must admit, using the flat T+E and then changing to blue arctic doesn't inspire me with confidence in his capabilities.

Sponsored Links
Just get him back, and let him deal with whatever complexities there are, and replace anything he damaged etc. You won't be paying for his time, or any materials.

PS - is the boss the sort of guy who'd get someone from the pub to do it for cash because he was cheap?

Sponsored Links
Not a cash job BAS, all proper invoiced etc, though I haven't been made privvy to how much. :LOL:
Don't worry, I'm not touching it, I was only asked to check the bulbs hadn't blown. Now that I come to think of it I don't even know if he gave the boss any certs for it. :eek:
Have to ask him on Monday. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back