EOL wiring and door contacts

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I'm looking at fitting a simple alarm - five PIRs (one inhibited), two door contacts and (possibly) a smoke alarm.

It looks like most people use EOL wiring now - it will also make the wires easier to hide.

1. Do most PIRs come with settable inline resistors? If not, are they worth the extra or should I use normal PIRs and buy a pack of resistors?

2. What do you do with door contacts? Do they come with inline resistors, do you bridge the resistors across the terminals or just turn off the anti-tamper on those zones?

3. Can you fit flush door contacts onto a PVR door?

4. Do you fit EOL / anti tamper on the smoke alarm? I understand these are NO rather than NC like the rest of the system.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi a control unit that has EOL will have resistors included. The pir's with built in switches are easier to use but cost a bit more, we tend to use the resistors supplied with a standerd pir then if for any reason you have to replace the detector then the resistors can be refitted to the new pir instead of having to fit a similar pir. Again you can but contacts with built in resistors but same as above. Flush contacts can be fitted to upvc doors but are fun to do !!! You fit resistors on to the smoke detector and i would get one that works the same as pirs, closed going open on fire as if the cable was damaged before the uint activated then nothing would happen as it would still be oc. Hope this helps

Grahame

Grahame

Thanks for that. I understand you fit the resistors across the contacts in the PIRs, but how do you fit them in the door contacts?

Depending on the resistors required, one resistor is in parallel with the contact terminals and the other resistor in series with the return wire

contact
O----------------------------------O Control unit circuit
R
O--------------<::R::>-----------O

R = RESISTOR

The instructions in your control unit book will show you better that above !!

Grahame

Sponsored Links
Shunt EOL

I------<:::R>------I
O Silver Terms O---<::::R>---O
I I
I I
I I
Wiring

Thanks for that. So the resistors will physically fit inside the contacts? I didn't think there would be enough space.

It looks like most people use EOL wiring now - it will also make the wires easier to hide.
Could you please explain this statement as I'm always looking for new ways to run and hide cables.

Could you please explain this statement as I'm always looking for new ways to run and hide cables.

Well he could be referring to only running one 8 core to pick up 3 pirs instead of 3 x 6core cables to bring back alarm and tamper each. One cable is easier to conceal than 3 cables.

EOL wiring means using resistors in line with the sensors, so a separate anti-tamper pair isn't needed. Google to find out more!

EOL wiring means using resistors in line with the sensors, so a separate anti-tamper pair isn't needed. Google to find out more!

I fully understand that, it's the "- it will also make the wires easier to hide" I'm having difficulty with.

I fully understand that, it's the "- it will also make the wires easier to hide" I'm having difficulty with.

I think the original statement should have been "There are less cables to hide" rather than "Cables are easier to hide"

As already stated, it is easier to hide a single 8 core cable connecting three PIR's than it is to hide three 6-core cables, all of them running back to the panel

ETA: When I built my extension at home, I cabled for a new system that has EOL wiring - but I still ran an 8 core from panel to each sensor... because as I could cable at first fix stage, hiding them wasn't an issue! Plus I have spare cores already in place - should I ever need them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back