extending flue question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
quick question i have a flue that needs extending,the original flue at the moment comes out the side of the house and into the new extention(theres no windows or roof there yet) so all gases can escape.My question is is this a job for a gas safe engineer or is this something i can do my self.
thanks

Sponsored Links
firstly its possible from your descrption the boiler could already be dangerous. Secondly this is NOT a diy job, its a job for a proffessional RGI, and I would call one out pronto just to make sure the current situation is safe. Thirdly no one can tell you if its possible to extend the flue on a boiler if we have no idea what boiler it is.

It's a job that is strictly for a Gas Safe Engineer, but that also may not be possible depending on the make and model of your boiler, as all boilers have maximum runs and the flue kits for many of the discontinued boilers are now unavailable.

thanks mickyg,you say its sounds dangerous from my description already,could you explain please,i understand i need to get a gas safe engineer in now but whats made my situation dangerous
thanks

Sponsored Links
i didnt say it was dangerous, i said it could be. You've effectively built an enclosure around your flue which could cause the POC of combustion to mix with the combustion air being drawn in. As i say, its a possibility, I cant see it but you should get it checked.

My friends stepdad did something similar,usual I'm an engineer type. Built extension around flue, no roof but flue was either in the cavity between the Walls or in between their wall and next doors( not much clearance). The push fit o rings both leaked taking out the pcb.

thanks mickyg i will get it checked out,muggles the boiler is a ideal icos

My friends stepdad did something similar,usual I'm an engineer type. Built extension around flue, no roof but flue was either in the cavity between the Walls or in between their wall and next doors( not much clearance). The push fit o rings both leaked taking out the pcb.
[/i

Don't you all ove it when a potential client is asking questions, and he proudly announces "I am an engineer, you know". I just know we are going to get on fine from then. ;)

Oh that's a shame, hard luck. Well the flue bits are still available at least...

yes i have heard there not very good,but fingers crossed its been better than my mum and dads worcester bosch,thanks gents

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back