extractor fan in light switch??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put in an extractor for my shower,its just a standard on/off no timer,the maintince guy at work told me not to wire into the shower pull outside the door as it could overload the fuse,instead wire into the light.
Wired it in (2 cables only on fan).the fan comes on when the light is switched off but the bulb still has a faint glow,when the light is on the fan goes off.What am I doing wrong:confused:??? :evil:

Sponsored Links
First thing you did wrong was to listen to the maintince guy at work who is talking through his arch or you totally misunderstood him

Next thing you did wrong was to not read the very handy Reference section at the top of the Electrics forum

Look through this and then come back with any further quesions

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I was asking if that was what you had done?, where have you taken the two wires to the fan from?
I thought perhaps you had connected them across the two wires at the switch.
If you take a look in the reference setion, plenty of very helpful diagrams to explain how to wire it up correctly.

no you cant wire into the shower switch its very dangerous, look on for refernce it shows how it should be done

Swelec, Breezer.........would you agree it possible that if the fan wiring was across the switch.........the fan would run when the switch is in the off position (getting the neutral through the lamp filament).........then when the switch is in the on position, light works...........but now neutral to fan is lost so fan doesnt run?
I like puzzles.........lol.

yes, but you have still got it wrong.

put it this way

when they build a road they dont just dump a load of old rain coats down and some one says thanks, job done

if you are going to do a job do it right or not at all

oh, the coats and thanks?

you figure that one

Hi,breezer,I know I cant wire it into the shower switch,that much he told me but I dont know how to run it through the light switch,would it be easier to fit a seperate switch??????

lancenotalot, read my post again

breezer said:
no you cant wire into the shower switch its very dangerous, look on for refernce it shows how it should be done

all I want to know is can I wire the fan into the light switch and if so then please tell me how,this is a diy forum is it not,Im looking for help not critisim.Plain english please no riddles.

for the 3 rd time see for refernce there is even a drawing in there

lancenotalot said:
all I want to know is can I wire the fan into the light switch and if so then please tell me how,this is a diy forum is it not,Im looking for help not critisim.Plain english please no riddles.

see for reference. we have already taken the time to draw diagrams for people who arent too sure. if you cant be bothered to use them then we cant be bothered to help you.

I have looked but cant find it,thats why Im asking,if I could see the diagram Im sure I would be ok,can someone post a link please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back