Extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I wire a new bathroom extractor fan (not timed) into the supply for the bathroom light?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes - but you must have double pole isolation switch in the circuit.

Thank you very much.

Sorry if this is a simple question but where would I locate the double pole isolation switch?

Many thanks
T

In Zone 3 or outside the Zones.

See the "For Reference" section for links to sites & documents with diagrams of Bathroom Zones - much easier than trying to describe them in words!

Also, check that the fan itself is suitable for the Zone where you want to put it.

Sponsored Links
Can someone please explain why there is a requirement to have a double pole isolation switch for the fan.

Many thanks.

pegasus said:
Can someone please explain why there is a requirement to have a double pole isolation switch for the fan.

to isolate it

Thanks for a prompt response.

Why wouldn't single pole isolation be allowed?

ie just power the fan directly from the light and be under the control of a single pole switch.

no single pole isolation is not allowed (in case you have a timed fan)

Breezer

Would single pole "isolation" be allowed if it was a fan without a timer?

fraid not, as ther is lso the possibility it is wired "wrong" but if you get a proper fan isolator you may as well isolate all poles, since you then take the cbable from the supply to the isolator then the fan

Last question......if the fan was in another room say bedroom....is there still a requirement for it to have double pole isolation.

i.e. Is the requirement only applicable to bathroom locations.

no, its because its a fan.

friend of mine, he used to collect information on differnt types of tractors, but as he no longer does it, does this mean he is an ex-tractor-fan

One of those 'over-engineered' electrical regulations...

Fans HAVE TO BE double or triple pole isolated, but every circuit in your house can be safely protected by a single pole MCB... :rolleyes:

xbond said:
Fans HAVE TO BE double or triple pole isolated

I'm about to put a timed fan into my bathroom and i've seen a few triple pole isolators on the web. Can you get fused versions of these? If you can't then presumably you'd need to provide fuses elsewhere in the circuit, if you wanted to go with one.

If i'm using the light switch to control the fan, presumably there's nothing wrong with installing the FCU before the light (rather than between the light and fan)?

like this:
fanlight.gif

I did want to control the fan from the shower isolator switch, but extensive reading on this forum has persuaded me against it :eek:

Pete

elsandalos said:
I did want to control the fan from the shower isolator switch, but extensive reading on this forum has persuaded me against it :eek:

Pete
Interesting - more and more people want to do this, it seems.

And for good reasons (well, I would say that).

My wiring shoud be in soon - I'll take a photo to accompany the diagram.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back