FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have a spur coming off a double socket (on a ring main) supplying a 3Amp FCU, from this FCU there is a connection to an 30mAMP RCD FCU which in turn supplies a shower pump (None of this is anywhere near the bathroom by the way).

Would it be safe to take add a new spur from the 3Amp FCU to supply a new double socket? The length of the spur I am looking to add is only about 1.5m at most.

I am sure i have read somewhere that you can add as many sockets (within reason) as you like after an FCU because everything after it is protected by it!

But wanted to make sure that this doesnt sound dangerous before I do it!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You have a 3A FCU feeding an RCD FCU.

This is wrong, as you have 2 fuses in line with the shower pump. (Thought these were rated at 5A min?)

The spur coming off the double socket needs to be fitted with a 13A fused spur. Now you can feed from the load terminals of this spur whatever equipment you want to run off it.

ie; 13A SPUR > 3A RCD SPUR for pump > Socket.

If you feed the socket from the 3A spur, this fuse will be insufficient to run both the pump and the socket simultaneously.

A "spur on a spur" is only permitted if it is fused down. you can use an FCU to do that. but the supply to your double socket will need to be fused at 13A so you can plug larger things onto it.

Your shower pump needs to be fused at 3A.

I suggest you do it like this:

(Existing Ring Socket) - - - > (13A FCU) - - - - > (New socket) - - - > (3a FCU) - - > (RCD) - - > (shower pump)

Best to do all the wiring in 2.5mm T&E. You can put the 13A FCU right next to the existing ring socket as a spur. If the RCD is a combined FCU with RCD, then your 3A fuse should be in there, you don't need a 3A FCU as well.

I note you are not making any changes inside the bathroom.

edited: I must type faster!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back