Fiddling Son No 2 Meddled With Lappy....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Middle boy has done something to lappy.

It has an internet connection (I have tried both via WiFi and Cat 6) and the connection is good.

But there is no internet to be had. Whatever site you choose to connect to, you are just left "waiting to connect to X.co.whatever"

Tried unchecking the box next to proxy server (not checked).

Son No. 3 has an identical lappy which is merrily working away, either on WiFi or Cat 6, difference being the owner is not a curious fiddlepants....

Any ideas?

;)

[/b]

Sponsored Links
same on all browsers? Assuming you have more than one browser installed.

Try disabling the firewall, temporarily

Yes. have tried other browsers.

I give up... :rolleyes:

No 2 has further meddled, inputting CMD prompts, ipconfig/ release and ipconfig/ renew.

Remarkably, this appears to have worked. At what cost, I am unsure.... :eek:

Thanks for help. I shall come back if something else transpires... ;)

If it happens again, disable the wireless adaptor and then re-enable it.

ipconfig is a known issue in windows, so renewing that helps but the problem may reoccur.

Sponsored Links
Yes. have tried other browsers.

I give up... :rolleyes:

No 2 has further meddled, inputting CMD prompts, ipconfig/ release and ipconfig/ renew.

Remarkably, this appears to have worked. At what cost, I am unsure.... :eek:

Thanks for help. I shall come back if something else transpires... ;)

Just renews the IP address allocated to the laptop.

If it happens again, i find a swift punch in the throat * usually means it won't ;)

* Only joking before the forum PC brigade/taliban start wingeing.

The Command Prompt is far more use than many give it credit for! The "standard" test I use to check for an internet connection is PING.

Open a Command Prompt. Type in PING GOOGLE.CO.UK and hit the enter key. If you get four replies, and no packets lost, then your internet connection is working. If you get an error report, then this will often give you a fairly good idea of where the problem lies. Another one is TRACERT which shows each hop to the specified site.

Once in the Command window, if you require help with a command, you can type in that command followed by the slash and the question mark. For example IPCONFIG /? will list the "switches" IPCONFIG accepts. Similarly for CHKDSK and all the other "DOS" commands. There are many websites which can assist you with commands and how to use them.

PS. A previous poster suggested a punch in the throat. In my experience, a clip round the ear is sufficient to provide a subtle reminder!

Or a tracert can be handy to determine where the problem is. Sorry already mentioned :oops:

best thing is,dont let the little gits on YOUR lappy.
that way they cant cock it up.

Or virtualise the lappy so everyone has their "own" if one is not in a position to have multiple physical units.

Only time I think I've had a problem with my now pretty ancient lappy is when I've lent it to the kids and they installed all manner of shoite on it.

No, it's HIS lappy.... ;)

But nevertheless, I'd rather he didn't cock it up within 5 minutes of getting it.

He thinks clever is knowing how to make changes to settings on his laptop.

I know that clever is knowing how to make changes to settings on his laptop and then being able to reverse them if something goes wrong.....

Clever is knowing your limitations. But tell that to an 11 yo ;)

I wonder if yours are like mine making changes left right and centre without any regard to error messages warnings etc... swearing blind they know how to do something when clearly they are to all intents and purposes, demonstrably clueless. Mine forget that I work in IT... 25 years now, so I have an idea about some of it and of course in any profession the more you know, the more you realise what you don't know! My no 2 son is particularly guilty of this (12 y.o.) he's pretty bright but is far far too cocky with a know it all I'm not listening to you attitude... kids eh!

"Get your teenager now, whilst they still know everything."

Sponsored Links
Back