Filters - Patern parts or genuine from manufacturer

I think part of the problem is injector blow by which seems to be quite common, as they sit under the rocker cover any carbon deposits get into the oil. Another problem is to small a sump which because of its design doesn't fully drain.

John

Did the one you were relating have the inline filter removed? failure to do that or at least fit a new one will result in rapid turbo failure.

Another thing that happens is the sump strainer gets blocked so its worth cleaning it before its run again.

I don't see the point of the turbo oil feed filter, I have been running PSA turbo diesels for nearly 25 years and have never had one fail, none of them were fitted with an in line filter.

Peter

Sponsored Links
I haven't actually done one of these turbos Peter, but I do look after 3.....all Peugeot / Citroen vans. I'll certainly bear in mind the filter in the feed line - that's new to me.
I have done one on a Saab 9-3 though( Vectra engine) and it was deemed essential to pop the sump off for a clean, which I did.
The pick up filter was spotless!
Regarding these injector issues, the injector often enough passes through water passages in the cylinder head - all seals being kept wholesome (hopefully) by O rings.
So.....steel injectors, aluminium cylinder head, water......it's a DIY disaster kit, along with injector wiring that happily gets repeatedly heated to over 100 deg :eek:
I hate to admit it, but I'm afraid petrol beckons for us all before too long!
John :)

How old are the vans you look after John? Do you know offhand what sort of mileage have they done?
As you probably remember, mine's a Partner Tepee "Outdoor"
Whatever the next one will be petrol for me. This one was really bought for my late MIL who was living with us at the time, could no longer drive, and had difficulty getting in and out of a "normal" car. Diesel was basically the only option we could find at the time. As I said we like it, and it is very practical.

One is an 07 with 48k, another is 08 with slightly less so I guess they could be ok, Dave......both are horribly abused by drivers with no mechanical sympathy or care at all :eek: and they started life painted white but that hasn't been seen for a while. They only come to me when they are well out of MOT!
The last one has 140k on an 08.....that's a Partner, I'm told. This one must prove that it is possible to achieve high mileages with this engine! I don't know it's history yet.
I have to say, it's a nice crisp motor that pulls well, but I really can't afford to lock horns with a goosed turbo, should it occur.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John. You have to wonder how many of the horror stories are down to infrequent oil changes and/or using the wrong lube. There is a Citroen version of the oil change procedure here I found while looking if you haven't seen it.
http://c4owners.org/plugins/faq/faq.php?0.cat.5.110

The problem is the world is full of horror stories. :eek:

I think I'll keep on going with it for a bit. . .

Ye gods....even an oil change is becoming a science now! Sometime soon, it won't be possible to open the bonnet!
You can imagine the screen display.......'Dipstick removed! Refer to dealer'.
Surely all oils should be high spec / low saps these days, if that's what engines need.
On purchasing a genuine filter for my A1....bloke said 'we divvent usually sell to the public, mate' :p

"Please refer to an approved dealer who has the correct scanning tunneling microscope to ensure the correct refitting of the dipstick" :)

These days I don't know many people who do their own servicing. I must admit I haven't these last few times because of the warranty. They also seem to have a good workshop at the dealer I have used, and a knowledgeable service manager.

They always seem to have an offer on when I get my servicing done as well. Could be they know me. . .

When I bought my A1 - my first car in the 'super quality' class - if such a thing exists......I decided to have it dealer serviced - the usual ideal, fully stamped service book, the full 9 yards, etc.
The car told me it was ready for its first service - around 15k miles.
Call to Newcastle Audi - menu pricing for the first service is £320, vat extra :eek: for an oil drop, little else. You do get met on arrival, and leave with a free tin of sweeties though. Smashing.
So, against (maybe) my better judgement, a genuine filter and oil sorted by me, job done, receipts kept.
I'll keep the car for 5 years, maybe - in which case it'll be worth nowt anyway so we'll see! Out of warranty anyway, no problems and a nice wee car.
No spare wheel though - a can of sealant and an air compressor. Well slick!

£320 for an oil change! Ouch!
At that price I'd definitely be doing my own. Last service, dealer, with MOT. On offer. £125. I can live with that! They're not "finding" work either.
And they give it a wash!
Seems to me that with most modern cars, apart from service parts like brakes etc. and oil changes of course, there's not much to actually service until you get to belt changing time.
My old Passat that I used to work on myself, had hardly anything done to it apart from the usual service stuff, belts, the odd brake hose etc. for MOTs, and I did the rear bushes once.

Sponsored Links
Back