Finding gas leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

My gas meter is going up even with my combi boiler switched off and my cooker disconnected (at the bayonet fitting). I've done the soapy water thing on the bayonet fitting and could not see any change in the bubble.

The meter appears to measure in Cu Ft, and has 4 white digits, 2 red digits and an analog clock like dial with a "1" at 12 o'clock and ".5" at 6 o'clock.

At 10:00am it read 3405.73 [2 o'clock] and at 11:45pm it was 3405.74 [11 o'clock].

Is this a severe leak?

How will the plumber find where the leak is? Are there hand held gas detector "tricorders" or is it just a matter of listening & soapy water?

Any suggestions on hunting the leak myself (to save time/money when the plumber arrives)?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you suspect a leak, phone British Gas they will run a test. If the leak is severe enough to warrant it they WILL turn you off and tell you to get it fixed.

Can you smell gas anywhere in the house? you didnt say.

Do the pipes run above ceiling in the floor or in the void below downstairs floors or through solid floors?

Thanks marios_kin.

I've had work done in the kitchen a month ago, and once since then I thought I smelt something. I checked it out, but didn't smell it again so assumed it was paint stripper or something.

The house is a 100 year old mid-terrace with pipes under the floor boards downstairs. The pipe with the bayonet fitting for the cooker is 15mm copper, but under the floor boards the old pipes don't look like copper and have screw elbows. What would these pipes be made of, and do they need replacement?

What tests will British Gas do? How will the plumber find the leak?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Have you checked this with the gas tap to your boiler closed off? Not just with it off ? This would rule out a leak in the boiler (unlikely I know)

You might have some cast iron piping, which was used before copper. Cast iron is very slightly porous, which could explain what is going on. But I don't know if this is a significant leakage rate or not, and I'm in no way qualified to advise you - just my thoughts.

if you can smell gas you must ring transco 0800111999, they will run a drop test which will tell you if the leak is within permissable limits. If they find a leak they will turn you off and tell you to get a corgi engineer to put it right. There is a permissable leak of gas allowed but you need them to measure it for you.
Will either find the leak with a gas sniffer or some leak detection fluid. DON'T use soapy water it will corrode your joints.

just out of interest i found a gas detector, its NOT what most professionals use, but the site is amusing see here

(make sure your speakers are on, you may want to try the home page too)

Thanks Breezer - interesting site (I'm a bit worried you find it amusing though)!! Are the £45-£60 detectors advertised here sensitive enough to detect very small leaks?

Anyway, I called Transco last night and a guy came around - here is what happened if anyone is interested...

He connected what looked like a barometer to the gas meter. With all the appliances turned off, he turned the gas on for a while and then off again. The meter thingy then showed the pressure in the house pipes dropping (slowly).

He then went to where I smelt the gas in the kitchen and used a gas (methane?) detector. He very quickly established where the leak was and tightened a nut where the vertical gas pipe met the floor.
Another check at the meter, and all was well!

Thanks all for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back