Fire in fuse box

Whoever installed that needs a proper slap around the face. A new build?! Jeez.

1mm² used for the central heating
Messy as fook
Obviously loose connections
Exposed copper on both the factory tails and busbar
Busbar cut short (thanks mate)
LHS busbar not properly engaged into the MCBs
No discrimination of circuits - all lights one side, all sockets the other

I could go on?

Sponsored Links
In fairness that isn't an issue of discrimination - it is an argument based on a single protective device not causing unnecessary inconveniencec by causing all lights/sockets to be lost - which is simply a common interpretation of one Regulation but not anything explicitly stated within BS7671. Discrimination (Selectivity as it is now called) is about causing the protective device nearest the fault to operate should failure to do so result in danger.

In fairness that isn't an issue of discrimination - it is an argument based on a single protective device not causing unnecessary inconveniencec by causing all lights/sockets to be lost - which is simply a common interpretation of one Regulation but not anything explicitly stated within BS7671. Discrimination (Selectivity as it is now called) is about causing the protective device nearest the fault to operate should failure to do so result in danger.
Segregation is the word I was after, not discrimination.

Strict regulation or not, it's definitely bad practice.

Sponsored Links
Not just Friday. I have not disclosed as I like to give benefit of doubt to builders and contractors before I asked advice but it was the last Friday before Christmas We moved in! Desperate to get end of year figures no doubt.

Thanks for all advice to date.

Back to my Original question how can I best savage said new build company and/or contractor. My house could have burnt down from this? My pregnant wife was home alone today when this happened I am ****ing seething!

Someone's left a screw loose. It's not unheard of unfortunately, but is unforgiving.

Your aim now should be go get the new electrician to replace the damaged MCB, its neighbours either side, and ensure the security of all other connections.

You should inform the neighbouring homes and undertake a group effort to get the builder to check all your connections - there may likely be another the same somewhere.

Whats that test sheet in the background, readings for the rcds should not be all the same, should they.
Need to see that to determing the burnt out cable size, for 32 amp it should be at least 4mm
Of course they should be! You test two RCDs, you don't need to test the same RCD from the end of each circuit.

View attachment 108374
The max measured earth is The test results R1 + R2 + 0.11 on everyone?
View attachment 108376
Nothing wrong with that. It's encouraged these days. You must do R1 + R2 before putting an installation into service. You may then calculate the Zs. It won't take account of parallel paths, but this means your figures will be larger, not smaller, which errs on the side of caution.

It is now discouraged by most trade bodies to carry out live testing where not required.

Electrician has done just that, and is happy. My overall instruction was make it safe. Our street has a Facebook group and we (wife) informed everyone about it immediately. A Few shocked people.

Whoever installed that needs a proper slap around the face. A new build?! Jeez.

1mm² used for the central heating
Messy as fook
Obviously loose connections
Exposed copper on both the factory tails and busbar
Busbar cut short (thanks mate)
LHS busbar not properly engaged into the MCBs

I could go on?

Whats the problem with 1mm for C/H?

7671 says 1mm is for lighting only
Hi Iggifer

I feel it is rather strange as the way the world works is that you size the protective device for the current carrying capacity for the cable. Nobody in college told me that you had to say to yourself, oh this is a smoke alarm circuit so I cannot use 1mm² cable as that is exclusively reserved for lighting applications only.

I have seen this banded about on forums from time to time. But is it actually a REGULATION, or a guide? Do you have a reg number for this please?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back