Fire resistant wall around combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently doing a loft conversion in my house. Building Control have been around a couple of times. They have mentioned I need to put fire doors on all rooms opening onto the main exit route from the loft, including the bathroom, unless I have a 30 minute fire resistant wall around the boiler that is in there. We are keen to have a sliding door to the bathroom to save space, but this wont work as a fire door (I think?).

My question is, what materials do I need to use to make a 30 minute fire resistant stud wall around the combi boiler? Is there a minimum thickness the wall needs to be? There is not a huge amount of room available around the boiler, but I do have the installation manual so can follow minimum distances around the casing etc.

Sponsored Links
Std 12.5mm plasterboard is half hour rated. Double sheet if need be.
Fireboard (pink plasterboard) is 1 hr rated.
You may need a fire door on this compartment which may then require you to have additional ventilation for the boiler.
Ask you architect or BC officer and your plumber.

Sponsored Links
i converted my ex council semi into a three storey and didnt need to have fire doors on original bathroom or new ensuite, so check that bit out first, i did have to change all other doors to fire resistant, not just access from loft, surely containing the boiler in fireproof material wont protect the occupants if the fire starts outwith the boiler area so i think there is some confusion as to what you have been told/understood, easier to check before the work is started and needs to be changed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back