Fix the oil leak...

At 5000 ft down the water pressure is about 1 ton per sq inch.
Just thought I'd mention that seeing as I worked it out all by myself. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Maybe the person they quoted was the person than mans the till in a BP shop?

I'm not quite sure that I'd like to experience the vacuum of space, without lifesaving support on. Apparently you boil from the inside out.

So maybe he has a point?

I would call Jimmy Saville.

Jim will fix it.

A UK company with millions in reserve, but they charge us so much for fuel!

Aren't they a Dutch company? Do you know what BP stands for?

EDIT: Maybe not. Don't know where I heard they were.

Sponsored Links
A UK company with millions in reserve, but they charge us so much for fuel!

Aren't they a Dutch company? Do you know what BP stands for?

EDIT: Maybe not. Don't know where I heard they were.

British Petroleum, a UK company.

There best bet is to chop the pipe at the top of the christmas tree, and clamp it shut. I dont see why, once they have cut the pipe, they cant either clamp another BOP on the top, then shut it or, or once the top is clear of pipe, drop a bridge plug in then fill it with cement slurry. (there must be a reason, unless there very very stupid and havent thought of either these)

They could do with developing something like a lobsters claw that could be clamped around the pipe, then with massive hydraulic pressure squeeze the pipe closed.

Wotan

They could do with developing something like a lobsters claw that could be clamped around the pipe, then with massive hydraulic pressure squeeze the pipe closed.

Wotan

Well the Christmas tree has a type of blow out preventer on called a Shear Ram. Its basically a metal block with a hole, round a section of pipe, and when activated two hydraulic rams push it and it shears the pipe and seals it, this is the thing that didnt work.

(there must be a reason, unless there very very stupid and havent thought of either these)

I expect they've got the best minds in the industry racking their brains 24/7. Some things are just very fckin hard to do......bit like finding plane wreckage at the same kind of depths. :LOL:

I expect they've got the best minds in the industry racking their brains 24/7. Some things are just very fckin hard to do......bit like finding plane wreckage at the same kind of depths. :LOL:
Are you suggesting a plane crashed into that pipeline? :eek:

I agree sooey, surely leaks like this must happen all over the world, either while drilling, or by natural causes, underwater earthquakes for example. Working at this depth can be likened to searching for the black boxes from aircraft 447? or examining the titanic wreck. Nobody suggested a plane caused this, everyone knows the cause, and life was lost, and further marine life will be lost due to this disaster.

The sad part is that at the end of the day, someone will become very rich over this, law suits and counter suits. Oh, it's the suits that will become rich.

The mods should merge the threads!

I agree sooey, surely leaks like this must happen all over the world, either while drilling, or by natural causes,

They do except

-this is in deeper water than any other blowout ever experienced
-the blowout preventer usually fricking works and seals the pipe
-there severely hampered by the pressure at that depth (and lets face it, if the sea water, at one tone per square inch, cant stop the outflow of oil, imagine what pressure you NEED to pump slurry in to stop it.
-it didnt help they cut corners by fitting a cheapo mickey mouse Christmas tree.

I agree Lincs, I also understand that this wouldn't be a one-off, as I understand that there are far deeper wells, in harsher conditions, the North Sea for example. If they are struggling with this, what to do with a deeper one?

Wreck the seas, and the life in it? or go back to what we had before natural gas?

Slow burn coal, scrub it, to extract gas, as that is what the gasometers collected, we have an abundance of coal in this country, but since the Maggie years, most production stopped. So plenty coal available to produce gas, and plenty jobs could be created, just means converting all gas appliances back to use this resource. They did it once to convert over to natural gas.

I always say that to create jobs in the current climate is to uninvent something, maybe this is the catalyst for that?

The scenario, will arrive when we have not got enough energy / resources, to build / construct what is necessary for our survival, then what? go back to living in mud huts.

The scenario, will arrive when we have not got enough energy / resources, to build / construct what is necessary for our survival, then what? go back to living in mud huts.

I genuinely believe that there is technology out there, than can fix a problem, but 'them', don't bring it to 'us', because it would mean that 'them' lose out on taxes.

If you invented a lightbulb that lasts forever, what would happen to all the other lightbulb producers? overnight they would go bust.

If you invented a fuel source that is sustainable, what would happen?

Sponsored Links
Back