Flat roof problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a bay window with a flat roof in our bedroom, it has sprung a leak. A roofer was next door today so I asked him to take a look, he said it was only part felted by the rip off merchants who did it originally(surprisingly enough they have gone bust so they will not be coming back to rectify it) He said he could put it right for £80 and pulled out a can of paint from his van.
Now, because I don't like paying people for stuff I can do myself and that this paint must be easily available I did a bit of digging on tintenet and found a liquid DPM from wickes for £11 a tin. So my question is, is this stuff really appropriate for exterior use and will it give a lasting repair?
Hopefully a kindly roofer out there will offer me his/her advice :D

Sponsored Links
ACRYPOL.should last between 5 to 10 years

because I don't like paying people for stuff I can do myself

But you are happy for someone to spend their time going up there and diagnosing a problem :rolleyes:

I think that there is the small issue of actually confirming what the problem is before brushing anything on - as a liquid coating may not be the correct option

Anyway, Acrypol is about £40 a tin, , so plus time, clearing the surface, a brush rag and turps, then £80 does not seem too bad

The guy was up there for less than 1 minute, add to that the fact that he was already working next door and it hardly means I caused him some huge inconvenience does it

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back