flueless gas fires

Sponsored Links
Kevindgas thats the death I am refering to , it was subject to a given set of circumstances which resulted in a reg change . I fitted 3 of these fires , Mr Burley said it was as safe , no one told me about B.G not fitting them , I need someone to tell me they are going to be alright , any one , say something positive Please !!

BG wont even service them

nor will any sensible RGI

Burley tell lies to make the appliances look 100% efficient which they are not!
Hope you like HMP food

Well Petit Pablo certainly put my mind at rest , yes I did use an analyser ,
I put it in as per manu's instructions , I've been looking at some past postings , not good , Oh dear , won't do any more . :(
I would thank every one here but I don't know what fore , going to bed now assuming I can sleep !!

Flueless gas fires havent been around 10.
I remember my mothers house having a flueless gas fire in the seventies. The only other one I ever saw was at the Lion Inn pub in Blakey Ridge, N Yorks and that was taken out about ten years ago.

Having made that point I would like to echo the general opinion that flueless fires are dangerous and I wouldnt have one if you paid me.

Sponsored Links
I've had nothing but worrying experiences of flueless gas fires, and the attitudes of the companies making them.
I will work on them, as long as it's to take them out.

I would say that a flueless fire is fairly safe but only IF :-

The installer checks EVERYTHING

There is a CO alarm which is changed every year at the service

The cust done not block the wall vent

The cust does not dry his socks on them

The cust calls back the installer to service the fire every year on the same date.

But the chance of all those happening is very slim.

Even if the installer were so dilligent then it leaves the cust who we know can be vERY stupid !

I would never install one now but I would go to inspect one as thats to improve safety.

I have only been called to one anyway that they wanted installing but the cost including the vent was too much for them and I was reluctant to fit it anyway. I think I quoted about £150 but it needed about 12m of 15 mm supply pipe round the skirting.

Tony

Since starting this thread, the OP's gone very quiet.

Hopefully out at Been & Queued getting a credit note.

Well that pretty much sums it up than , I think the comment about liking H.M.P food might be a bit extreme , (I hope) ! some one , some where must be installing them ? It cant just be me , I only fitted 3 , I decided to contact a number of installers at random today , posing as a customer that wanted one fitted , contacted 8 , all said No , all told me they were dangerous , 1 said ' fit a flueless fire , you having a laugh ' one said & I quote ' You might find some Idiot who will ' , any way contacted all the customers , in writing told them all fires must be checked every 6 months , one prop' has been sold to a very well known celebrity , if he dies it will definately be on the T.V. Will be speaking to Burley in the A.M !
Thanks !

Contacting eight installers posing as a customer seems a little extreme !

But you have proven that what we are saying does represent the general viewpoint.

What surprises me is that all eight knew what they were and were already aware of the dangers! Very encouraging. Not like the Bradford or Burnley people who ask me for advice on fixing boilers!

Yellow pages installers 8 x transam 0

The failing mostly lies with the customers!

The manufacturers always tell you to get the fire serviced every year!

That will include measuring the monoxide released into the room if its done properly.

Customers prefer to save their wallet than their safety.

Tony

Thats correct,even sending reminders out will not stir people into action,i would hate to fit one of these thing,then not be able to get in to check it every year,what could be done?

Well here goes against the tide!
Ive had a Burley G4240-49 for around 4 years, as supplement and focal fetaure to conventional central heating. It is excellent, very attractive and excedingly efficient.It has a heat input of max 2.5 kw with a catalyst and the required ventilation. most cookers have the capacity to burn more gas, have no flu or catalyst, but should be in a room of min size with an opening window. The catalyst will not fail as mentioned in previous post.
Car catalysts do not fail, they are sometimes damaged or indeed destroyed by external factors eg engine missfire causes mixture of petrol vapour and air in exhaust, resultant backfire (explosion) damges catalyst. Or cheapy catalyst is encased in ferous metal which in time oxydises (rusts) away
Im keeping it. Brilliant :D

Could also say millions of people use portable calor gas heaters without any permenant vent with no ill affects and they are just as powerful.

Peoples perception of what is safe and what isnt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back