focal point panoramic gas fire problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This fire was fitted 5 years ago to an open flue with a normal chimney pot, it is very rarely used. (top up heating on very cold days) I doubt it gets more than ten hours use annually. The flue was swept before it was fitted, and has been swept and smoke tested since (it was clean). The problem is that after about 20-30 minutes running the noise of the fire changes, and it has "lit back" underneath the burner. It was serviced about 18 months ago, and this cured the problem, only to have me turn it on for the first time in ages, to find it did it again. My question is, what causes this to happen? is it poor design ( I am an engineer and I must say that when I watched my local corgi service the burner I was not impressed with the quality of construction or materials) Is it caused by the fire hardly ever being used? Has some dust or vermiculite found it's way into the injector elbow. Anyone heard about multiple problems of this type on this model Any ideas for a permanent cure to this problem greatly appreciated!
phil

Sponsored Links
As an engineer u will appreciate the need for maintaince Every 12months as recommended by maufacturer.
Just cause it is not used often doesnt make any differance!
You still get dust and crap coming down chimney as well as dust setteling on it.
In use due to decorative effect u get deposits forming on coals etc.
On top off all that these fires are known in the trade as FOCALSHITE.
Crystal make some decent fires ,but still need regular servicing.
Alot of people dont get them service as they should but its worth remebering that a fire can KILL!
If your chimney pot is just a standard open pot then u really need a GC1 terminal fitting,this will hep prevent any down draughts.

Thanks for that, the Focalshite comment was all I needed to know really, I think it may be permanently disconnected and skipped within the near future.
Phil

I have just seen the bit about the chimney!, it had a GC1 cowl, from the previous fire ,but it was removed on the advice of the guy who swept and tested the chimney first time. the instruction manual says " a natural draft flue system is required" I thought I was better of leaving it to "them that knows"
Phil.

Sponsored Links
Generally I would usually be saying ask the manufacturer!

But in this case as in so many others we read about here, the manufacturers recommendations about annual servicing have not been followed.

Of course another aspect comes into play that the person who services the appliances should be familiar with how they work and whats needed on a service.

What has not been adequately explained in this case is why the installer has not been asked to do annual servicing and has not been the natural point of contact with any queries about the appliance.

I subscribe to the view that the installer should be an expert on the appliance and provide a full after installation service!

Tony

Yes, I have been lax in servicing, but the reason for that is the last time the guy came to do it, he couldn't get the three screws out of the cap under the logs, simply because the ****-poor manufacturers have put unprotected steel screws into aluminium pillars. Considering the cost of this virtually unused appliance, the quality of manufacture and methods of access for servicing are nothing short of atrocious. Also the fact that it puts kW into the room and 3.9 up the chimney has convinced me that gas fires are a really bad idea. It is on its way to the skip. Original installer has retired BTW.
phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back