Ford Fiesta Centre Brake Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've a MKIV Fiesta but the middle brake light has been removed. In order for the car to pass it's NCT (Ireland's MOT) I need to refit one.

Does anyone know how to wire one of these?

I've got the unit and bench tested it with a 9v battery so it's working fine.

However I cannot work out how to wire it in.

Can anyone advise as to how to wire this in correctly?

There are four connection points on the unit (2 on each side)

Print-FordFiestaMK5RearBrakeLight99-022pinoneac.jpg

I know that the Breakers Yard has written MK5 year on the unit but it's the same part as the one for the MKIV.

I'd really appreciate some help on this!

Ford Fiesta
Ghia
1.25l
116,000 miles

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember that Fiesta's of this age had seperate circuits for each stop lamp, so maybe the high level lamp has two live feeds, and two earths....? Bizarre, I know but from my memory I think the live feeds were violet/yellow, and the earth returns were black.
Does this make any sense? Presumably you've discovered the original feed wires....if there's only two to be found, connect one to each end of the lamp array.
John :)

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately it looks like the original wiring has been removed. All that is left are the holes in the boot where it was fitted to the rear windscreen.

I can see where one of the wires to the near side rear light loom has been bared back. I can only presume this is the positive feed to the brake light.

I suppose they two points might be for a spade terminal but I'm not sure.

It would be fairly strange (and unnecessary I'm sure) to remove the old wiring and there's a good chance that its still inside the tailgate somewhere.....however, if it definitely isn't there, then take a connection from either side brake lamp circuit, and extend this cable to the inside of the tail gate at the top (through one of the rubber tubular grommets at the side) and wire it to one side of the lamp cluster.
There's a good chance that the new lamp will earth through the tailgate hinges but if it doesn't work, then you'll have to take an earth from the lamp to the body shell also.
John :)

Sponsored Links
My mistake didn't realise someone already answered

Back