brake clunk from foot pedal on fiesta

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help, on a 1997 ford fiesta when the hit the brake pedal i get a cluck sound from under the car, it only happenes when moving and seemd worse when moving backwards,

it does do it when stationary and brakes are working fine

its a little worrying as im not sure what it is

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a worn suspension bush I think.....are you certain the noise is there when the car is stationary?
John :)

sorry, it doesnt do it when car is stationary

why would it be worse when reversing ?

any idea what bush it could be ?

Typically, when the car is moving forward, any play in the suspension bushes is taken up, and all is reasonably quiet. However, when the car is stopped and then reversed, the play (or slackness, if you like) shows itself in the form of a clunk.
Now, there are many suspension joints that can clunk, but I'd play particular attention to the bottom swivel joint (wishbone to hub, at the very bottom) and then the inner wishbone bushes themselves, especially the rear one. When you are in that area, do check the springs for broken coils! Very common, that one.
Another suspect is the drop link or stabiliser that connects the front strut to the anti roll bar.
A popular method of testing bushes is to get a lever close to the rubber bush, and testing for any movement by moving the suspension component up and down.
Other things could make a noise too though....front brake pads can move about a little, and rear brake shoes can come off the drum with a clang. I do suspect suspension issues with your car though.

Sponsored Links
Excessive backlash = worn parts. Since the fault can be reliably reproduced, using a garden hose as a stethoscope with one end fastened near each candidate part may isolate the location.

i have replaced drop links and springs last year

i really thought i had a brake issue which looks like it isnt now

even when moving forwards and i hit the brake it will clunk, then stops until i pick up speed again

now the test will be to locate the issue

If you can jack the car up at its sill points, and let the wheels really dangle at full depression, check the rubber bush that connects the wishbone to the bodyshell for pulling apart - I seem to remember doing a few of these.
You don't suspect any driveshaft issues, do you?

i remember changing the wishbones 3 years ago, both sides due to perished rubbers,

what is strange, you mention drive shaft

i hadnt thought of this, why do you suspect this ?

would this be worse in reverse ?

i have noticed it doesnt seem to start until the car has been driven a few miles

i also think that when i change gear i get a clicky / cluck sound

Driveshafts, when worn, can have a degree of play in them - or especially the outer CV joint that passes through the hub. Usually a clunk test on full turning lock shows up as a nasty clatter.
The thing is, there's nothing really in the braking system that can cause this - just suspension and subframe mountings moving around! The driveshaft is just a possibility.

no issues on full turn either way

i will jack up and get the bar out and start proding around

Sometimes if you just barely take the weight off the wheel with the jack, you can find the clunk easier.

i have noticed it doesnt seem to start until the car has been driven a few miles
Heating causing thermal expansion of parts? What minimum rest period makes the problem go away? Worse in cold weather than warm?

worse when warm

in the morning when teh car has sat overnight it will be ok for a few minutes

jacked car up today, all seems ok, nothing out of the ordinary

any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Back