brake clunk from foot pedal on fiesta

this problem is still haunting me,

can anyone tell me if there is a transfer bar from the brake pedel to the servo ?

could this be the problem ?

Sponsored Links
The servo is on the drivers side, isn't it?
If it is, the pedal connects directly to the servo, and thence to the master cylinder.
John :)

In which case there must be a horizontal bar, on pivot bearings, that connects the brake pedal to the servo.
French cars frequently use this design.
John :)

Sponsored Links
So you have no noise when stationary?

Try with the engine running and stationary?

If you have no noise with the engine running and stationary. I'd say it might be the caliper tightening with a clunk onto the pad or wear in a front suspension bushing. You probably wont be able to simulate the pressures to cause the clunk with a bar, so look for wear and or shiny steel next to the moving parts of the suspension. If you put a good long wheel brace on the wheel nuts, can you get the wheel to flex back on the suspension. With the car not jacked up might just highlight something.

See does the noise change with speed, for example try to stop at low speed without making the clunk. Obviously you will have to use the brake pedal, not coast to a stop.

I seem to be coming a bit late to this thread, so all this may have already been covered. Just thought worth mentioning as its easy to over look something.

i looked at the bar from the pedal to the servo today and it does cluck around a bit, is this supposed to do this ?

No don't think so, is there a nylon bush missing?
Is it the same noise?
Put grease/oil on the free play in the bushing to see if the noise changes while its lubricated

as i see it there is a bracket which bolts through the bulk head and the bar goes through the middle of this, this is where there is play, the movement is minimal but metal against metal

Sponsored Links
Back