Freelander Drive Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a 2000 x-reg Landrover Freelander TD4. We've begun to notice that occasionally when accelerating (mainly uphill) there is a loss of power/drive and the enginge revs increase. My fears are that this is the first signs of the clutch giving up the ghost. Could this be the case or could something else be causing this? Doesn't appear to do this when the engine is cold (unless thats just a coincidence?) and it doesn't do it all the time either?

If it is the clutch and it needs replacing - does anyone know roughly how much this is likely to cost to have repaired?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the clutch slipping. They are more prone to this when cold also.

How many miles has it done???

Mines on 40,000, and the clutch has already been slipping for about 5,000 miles, yet i hear they dont break til about 80 - 100,000.

120k - I wouldnt begrudge putting a new clutch in and that many miles.

Do it sooner rather than later though, becuase you probably wont have it for another 120k, so might aswell enjoy it.

I do a lot of off roading in mine, and towing generators up muddy hills, hence heavy wear.

Sponsored Links
So we're assuming its the clutch that has gone, anyone any ideas what this is going to cost for parts and labour to replace? I'm not after a quote, just to know whether i need to be looking at re-mortgaging or just saving up for a couple of months?!?!

I pay £500 for an annual service??

Guestimate, prob around 500 from Land Rover themselves.

£300 elsewhere??

Just a guess.

Cheers Gaz - good to get a ball-park estimate.

Went for a new tyre for my other car (fiesta) last christmas and ended up treating it to three new ones so looks like the freelander is getting a clutch for christmas!

Could it be that it has a dual mass flywheel which is failing, causing the clutch to slip?

For a cable operated clutch, the first thing I would check is the free play at the clutch pedal. As a clutch wears, it takes up slack in the cable. When it runs out of slack cable the clutch starts slipping.

Easy (and free!) check - can you lift the pedal up from it's normal position? If you can't then the cable may need adjusting.

Only applies to cable operated clutches. Hydraulic clutches are a different can of worms.

Easy (and free!) check - can you lift the pedal up from it's normal position? If you can't then the cable may need adjusting.

Only applies to cable operated clutches. Hydraulic clutches are a different can of worms.

I'll have a check - but how would i know if i've got a hydraulic or cable clutch?

The thing i can't get my head around is why it only does this at times? I can go days without doing it all and then does it a lot in one trip?

theyre hydraulic, ive done loads, alot of them only last 25k, yours is a rolling real-life miracle to have gone 120k!!!. i do them in 2 hours max. qoute accordingly

Cheers Tommy, so you'd say symptoms point towards a knackered clutch?

We have approached a garage for a quote and are awaiting the figure. He told the missus on the phone its not easy cos they have to get to a bolt somewhere that isn't easy to get to??(believable as i've done an oil and fuel filter change on it and had to get to a screw and drain plug which were difficult to get to do that - seems everything on a freelander is 'difficult to get to'!)

She said she felt a bit like it was 'she's a woman, we can bull her up'?

yours is a rolling real-life miracle to have gone 120k!!!

We haven't had it from new so maybe it has had a new clutch prior to us having it? It had done 75k when we bought it almost five years ago.

sounds like he,s a ****, if he's a garage, with good tools, then just get on wi it, personally i hate freelanders- not to work on- but just cos everything goes wrong wi them.just tell him the way its got to be- wer in derbyshire are you?

Tommy - top end o'Derbyshire - near Buxton. A friend's dad is a mechanic so we're getting a quote of him too so that should put his in perspective. Still not heard from them and it was over 48hrs ago the missus rang!

Do you know anything about the liklihood of if being the 'dual mass flywheel' and not the clutch from the symptoms? Or is this something you could only tell by looking at it/driving it?

Sponsored Links
Back