Garden Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two sets of gardern lights (halogens and spots), as well as an external double socket, all of which is currently fed off the downstairs lighting ring.

There is a 3 gang switch (in kitchen by patio doors) which controls the 2 sets of lights and controls the external sockets (on/off)

The work was completed before I bought the property, so no accusations of poor workmanship please.....

I'm in the process of getting the kitchen renovated and it looks like I need to get a new connection from the consumer unit to feed the double oven - previous one plugged into kitchen ring.

Question is, while going through the hassle of running a new feed from the consumer unit to the kitchen, is it worthwhile running additional feeds (radials?) for the garden lights and/or sockets?

If so, what should the priority be?

Any advice much appreciated

Chris

Sponsored Links
cwinson said:
I have two sets of gardern lights (halogens and spots), as well as an external double socket, all of which is currently fed off the downstairs lighting ring.
1. socket from lighting circuit?
2. lights not a ring, they are a radial.
cwinson said:
Question is, while going through the hassle of running a new feed from the consumer unit to the kitchen, is it worthwhile running additional feeds (radials?) for the garden lights and/or sockets?
yes it is. Run one radial, a 16A in 4mm² twin and earth, to the outside wall. Here, change to steelwire armour cable, and run this to the outdoor socket. Make sure the socket is RCD protected somewhere too. The lights should be ok on the house lighting circuit.

Priority depends when you are getting this new oven. double ovens usually around 4-5kw, so you cannot plug this in. single ovens are less than 3kw so these can plug in. But the garden socket needs sorting asap - dont try running a george foreman or anything off this - it will trip the MCB / fuse for the lights.

Are you doing the work yourself? If so, do you know about part p? search this forum for part p.

crafty1289,

Thanks for the prompt response. It's pretty much as I expected - needs sorting.

I'm not planning on doing the work myself. Have just found out about part p. Will get the work done by a qualified electrician.

Cheers,

Chris

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
crafty1289 said:
Run one radial, a 16A in 4mm² twin and earth, to the outside wall.
2.5mm² will do for 16A....
it will do, yes. but I like to do things properly . . . he could have a 20A radial and 2 sockets then. Is that better?

If you did go for 4mm you could have a 32A radial (Given the right conditions - volt drop etc - plenty of sockets possible then!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back