Garden Wall Project - help required

We're using a Type 1 foundation for the wall in line with the Marshalls guidance for the Croft Stone Brick.

If thats the guidance, why change for the step? concerned about movement from foot traffic?

Sponsored Links
Either will be fine, what ever is easiest. The concrete infill of the tread and mortar bed will hold it all together fine.

Either will be fine, what ever is easiest. The concrete infill of the tread and mortar bed will hold it all together fine.

So could use either a Type 1 infill or a concrete infill?

Can't work out how to bond the Type 1 to the Tread itself - is this achievable using mortar between the Type 1 and the Tread itself?

Sponsored Links
No, he is saying use either as the footing for the riser, the infill should be concrete to hold the riser, and slab in place and keep the step together.

No, he is saying use either as the footing for the riser, the infill should be concrete to hold the riser, and slab in place and keep the step together.

Ah ok, so I could:-

• Use Type 1 as the foundation for the riser;
    Infilll behind this with concrete;
    Slab across the top of the riser and concrete infill to create the tread, which would be bound to both the riser and the concrete infill with mortar?

Slab across the top of the riser and concrete infill to create the tread, which would be bound to both the riser and the concrete infill with mortar?

Yes, this sounds sensible to me, the mortar bond will hold the tread in place on the concrete and the risers in place, and the concrete infill will hold the back of the riser for added measure.

Yes, this sounds sensible to me, the mortar bond will hold the tread in place on the concrete and the risers in place, and the concrete infill will hold the back of the riser for added measure.

Perfect, thanks.

For the concrete infill, should I just fill concrete to the depth of the riser, or should the concreten infill have its own foundation that extends below the depth of the riser, i.e. to the same depth down below ground as the Type 1 foundation for the riser extends below ground?

Is there any specific measures we need to put in place to account for frost / freezing?

For steps, are there any minimum allowable thicknesses of either:-

(i) the slabs that are used for the tread; or
(ii) the mortar between the slab and the riser/concrete infill?

As a DIYer i would suggest there probably is a minimum for a tread, you wouldnt want it so thin that it'll crack, and as for the mortar, the thickness is usually down to what is a practicle application for a good bed for your tread.

I believe the ammount put down previously would work best, 40mm tread and 25mm of mortar.

As for infill, I wouldn't have thought it would need to be 350mm deep, that seems excessive... so wouldn't want to be full depth down to the type1 base.

I'll let someone else chip in if they think i'm wrong, but 100mm under a 40mm slab would seem reasonable, as long as your ground conditions are right, and you haven't dug under where the 100mm will be.

As a DIYer i would suggest there probably is a minimum for a tread, you wouldnt want it so thin that it'll crack, and as for the mortar, the thickness is usually down to what is a practicle application for a good bed for your tread.

I believe the ammount put down previously would work best, 40mm tread and 25mm of mortar.

As for infill, I wouldn't have thought it would need to be 350mm deep, that seems excessive... so wouldn't want to be full depth down to the type1 base.

I'll let someone else chip in if they think i'm wrong, but 100mm under a 40mm slab would seem reasonable, as long as your ground conditions are right, and you haven't dug under where the 100mm will be.

Thanks.

Would the following work (apologies for size of image, I'm uploading from mobile so struggling to post correctly).

That would give us a total rise of 400mm, which would tie in with the height of the upper section of the garden.

1406119354983.jpg

if your having multiple steps then bed the risers on concrete. the tiny bit of settlement you might get with one steps using a type 1 foundation would not matter but multiplied up you want the whole thing to be rigid.

if your having multiple steps then bed the risers on concrete. the tiny bit of settlement you might get with one steps using a type 1 foundation would not matter but multiplied up you want the whole thing to be rigid.

If we mortar the tread slab to the concrete as shown in my diagram above, and mortar the back of the riser to the concrete, do we need to mortar the riser to the tread slab as well, or can the tread slab just "sit" on the riser?

If we do, how thick should the mortar be between the tread slab and the riser?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back