Gas and electric safety checks cost

So I seem out of options, even if I change agents the first listed date is way back 5 months ago, and will not change! Or is that wrong?
Properties get relisted on Rightmove all the time, sometimes by the same agent, often with others. In both cases they show up as 'new' listings.
Whether your agent wants to do that is another matter - as they obviously have to pay Rightmove and others to advertise property on there.

As for the rest - the agent is clearly not acting in your best interests (despite you being the one that is paying them), and the 'buyers' have no funds and no ability to get them either - and the more applications for a mortgage they make, the smaller their chances of obtaining one becomes.

It's way past the time to get rid of both the agent and the buyer, and list the property with someone else.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I agree with flame wholeheartedly.

Pull out of the sale (you have been royally messed about by the buyer who told you they had a mortgage arranged and the agent who you said lied to you twice).

Start again!

Obviously the buyers haven't put a deposit down yet, (otherwise they would/should have a mortgage arranged), so I think you are perfectly entitled to withdraw it off the market with no penalty. They buyers have failed to secure the deal and have no immediate prospect of securing it and the seller hasn't sold it in a reasonable time. (I assume they have a clause that says if it is not sold within xx weeks/months you can remove it with nothing more to pay). I had a similar situation 5 years ago when selling my marital home but my contract with the estate agent was they would have a prospective buyer within 12 weeks. They didn't so I said I was pulling out and going with another company. They asked for a 2 week extension with a promise to advertise a wider area and a bigger advert. Within a week I had a buyer and 3 weeks later contracts were exchanged. They had had a survey done and accepted it as it was with a few minor faults but 2 days after moving in they demanded I refund £2,000 as the chimney stack had a slight lean on it which neither they or their surveyor had noticed. I simply said I'd see them in court and counter claim for my expenses. Never heard anything else.
It's time to get tough and put your foot down. Don't be messed around by any of these people. Take it off and go with someone else with a strict stipulation on length of time they have to sell it with a no sale-no fee agreement. The idea of not getting paid is anathema to them so they will not let it sit in their filing tray if you contact them 2 or 3 times a week for a progress report.

Properties get relisted on Rightmove all the time, sometimes by the same agent, often with others. In both cases they show up as 'new' listings.
Whether your agent wants to do that is another matter - as they obviously have to pay Rightmove and others to advertise property on there.

As for the rest - the agent is clearly not acting in your best interests (despite you being the one that is paying them), and the 'buyers' have no funds and no ability to get them either - and the more applications for a mortgage they make, the smaller their chances of obtaining one becomes.

It's way past the time to get rid of both the agent and the buyer, and list the property with someone else.
Hi flameport
Interesting what you said about relisting as I know I've seen property in the past relisted and was pretty sure the date had changed. But I can't be sure if that was Rightmove and with a 14 week gap between agents or the same agent. But you seem very sure about that.
Not sure if the gap needs to be 14 weeks from end of old agent to beginning of new agent, I assume so. But I know I in the past have seen same agent relisting as a new listing, but long time ago.
But what the agent is saying is Rightmove will not reset the "Listing History"
Added on Rightmove: ?? Dec 2017 etc!
unless property is off market for 14 weeks. So I'll never know if the agent actually can reset the history or wont!

If you notice a listing that gets relisted please post it hear or via PM. I'll then check the cache to prove it is happening!!?
The issue is, does the first listing date get changed? If it doesn't then the property wont fire off an email on Rightmove at least for a saved search?

I've since checked and can see well over a hundred for sale properties fire off emails when there price is reduced!
But over 5 months prices have gone up where I am so I don't want to reduce, if anything I should be increasing a little! But if it's the only way to get emails sent out to specific saved searches that prospective buyers have saved then maybe I could amend the price marginally. But if Rightmove control how emails go out will they have any stupid restrictions or filters on how much it needs to be reduced by!

I hear loud and clear what you're saying about changing the agent.
By dropping them now I assume I cut myself off from the buyer! So I may run 2 agents at same time and let the buyer complete their last mortgage proposal and see if it fails or not!

I don't have loads of cash and I've paid the agent up front, so you'll understand why it will be a hard decision to lose that cash and get nothing for it!

Yeah, I agree with flame wholeheartedly.

Pull out of the sale (you have been royally messed about by the buyer who told you they had a mortgage arranged and the agent who you said lied to you twice).

Start again!
Hi securespark
After speaking to the agent again I'm not sure if they lied. My feeling now is perhaps they just rubber stamp buyers and don't do proper vetting and trust what the buyer is telling them. If the problem doesn't happen that often why put the effort in if the casualties are light!
So for anyone reading this, when an agent tells you the buyers has the mortgage in place, don't trust that and ask for it in writing, the actual documentation if possible. I'm sure they'll claim they can't do that but if they redact some info there is no reason why they can't give you solid proof a mortgage is actually in place!

Agent seems very motivated now, and "Start again!" will be very hard for me, but I will have to consider it.
The stress is making me feel ill.

Obviously the buyers haven't put a deposit down yet, (otherwise they would/should have a mortgage arranged), so I think you are perfectly entitled to withdraw it off the market with no penalty. They buyers have failed to secure the deal and have no immediate prospect of securing it and the seller hasn't sold it in a reasonable time. (I assume they have a clause that says if it is not sold within xx weeks/months you can remove it with nothing more to pay). I had a similar situation 5 years ago when selling my marital home but my contract with the estate agent was they would have a prospective buyer within 12 weeks. They didn't so I said I was pulling out and going with another company. They asked for a 2 week extension with a promise to advertise a wider area and a bigger advert. Within a week I had a buyer and 3 weeks later contracts were exchanged. They had had a survey done and accepted it as it was with a few minor faults but 2 days after moving in they demanded I refund £2,000 as the chimney stack had a slight lean on it which neither they or their surveyor had noticed. I simply said I'd see them in court and counter claim for my expenses. Never heard anything else.
It's time to get tough and put your foot down. Don't be messed around by any of these people. Take it off and go with someone else with a strict stipulation on length of time they have to sell it with a no sale-no fee agreement. The idea of not getting paid is anathema to them so they will not let it sit in their filing tray if you contact them 2 or 3 times a week for a progress report.
Hi Conny

That's correct, no deposit. I've not seen anything signed from buyers either but all my documents were completed and signed months ago, so I'm pretty sure like you say without a mortgage I could withdraw without penalty.
I've paid the agent up front! it's a fixed contract of 10 months and of course a lot less than the usual standard agent fees! They offered to extend that another 10 months but that is of no use or help to me at all.
I have my own deadlines which have some possible serious financial implications, so extending the contract for free is no help to me, it's not an option.

My money is a bit short, so going with a high-street agent will be a hard choice, but I might have to do that in the end to get what I want, and when I want it, or need it.

I think I've got a hard and stressful time ahead of me before I sell my place, and I really can't risk trusting anything this or any agent tells me from now on. I've been stupid thinking I was getting good advice, it's been a total joke and horrible experience so far.

Many thanx to everyone for the replies, very appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The stress is making me feel ill.
I get that impression.
And I understand - I have hormonal problems that mean I cannot handle stress at all and, if stressed, I have to take medication.
And it does not help you that a house sale is stress-inducing at the best of times.
You just have to decide which route will stress you the least.

The downside of that is that the agent may undervalue it, or stop at the first prospective buyer, to get a quick sale.

Not sure if the gap needs to be 14 weeks from end of old agent to beginning of new agent, I assume so.
No - there is no need for any gap. Entirely possible for the same property to be listed with multiple agents at the same time.

Some examples:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71248922.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71890877.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53313960.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64157833.html

Four entirely separate listings, all with different start dates, all different agents.
All are for the same property.

You are being spun more lies from the agent. Tell them and the buyer to go away.

If you're really desperate, have a chat with one of these "we'll buy your property companies". The problem you'll have, is that they may base it on the cheaper than normal price you've advertised it at, rather than the normal price of houses in your area.

Most reputable agents would ascertain that the purchaser has a deposit, and enough of a salary to be able to get a mortgage, but that doesn't mean that a lender will decide you're place is up to the mortgage required. You're agent obviously didn't do adequate checks, and took the purchasers at face value. If it's relisted on zoopla or rightmove, it's going to cost the agents more money, but as they didn't do their job properly, they should swallow the costs, not you. You may find that you've either got to leave the property for a few months, and then get it relisted, or go to a high street agent (who'll get paid upon the sale) and start again.

I've flicked through the thread, but haven't seen why you're selling cheaper than normal. As you've been messed around, and can't hold to you're original plans, it might well be worth going with a high st agent, and setting the price higher to recoup the first agents costs, and maybe a bit of the new costs as well. You're current buyer is never going to get a mortgage, and will very likely push for a lower price, so tell him where to go.

I get that impression.
And I understand - I have hormonal problems that mean I cannot handle stress at all and, if stressed, I have to take medication.
And it does not help you that a house sale is stress-inducing at the best of times.
You just have to decide which route will stress you the least.
I did have a little stress released when I laughed at an automatic email from the agent asking for feedback. They really wouldn't like what I have to say right now!

A big difference there is that you pay when the property is sold - so the agent has a significant incentive to sell it, otherwise they get nothing.
Yes for sure, I agree with that, but the cost is just too high for me and also because of the delays my costs are going to increase later in the year, so I have to make a choice, just hope I make the right one.
But maybe I'll be forced to use hightstreet agent, I'm looking now to see what's on offer, internet based agent no sale no fee etc!

The downside of that is that the agent may undervalue it, or stop at the first prospective buyer, to get a quick sale.
I agree, I can see one property near me that looks pretty good and the highstreet agent has it on I would say at least 25k less than it should be!
I don't think I got best advice, it was too quick to go with my first offer, but I was given the impression it was possible to sell within the time-frame I wanted! In reality this was bad advice, wrong advice, mistaken advice. If I would have known the truth I of course wouldn't have gone with the offer, but I am where I am!

No - there is no need for any gap. Entirely possible for the same property to be listed with multiple agents at the same time.

Some examples:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71248922.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71890877.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53313960.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64157833.html

Four entirely separate listings, all with different start dates, all different agents.
All are for the same property.

You are being spun more lies from the agent. Tell them and the buyer to go away.
Well there you are. Thanx for that.
It couldn't be much clearer. So why does a manager tell me the date wont change with a new agent!
I've also since found some agents that have listed the same property 3 times since Oct 2017
So how have they managed to do that. I have a clue how, but if Rightmove isn't policing the bad agents, but they maybe stop a property that's been under offer for 5 months not getting a fresh listing because of a dodgy buyer then it shows they really don't care and can't be bothered doing the right thing.
And further more, it makes a joke of the system to some extent if by reducing the price emails will be sent out via Rightmove!
And that's all I really want, email updates for buyers that have saved my property and others that have an active search for my area! I really don't see how that harms their business.
My agent isn't trying to ghost list or bump the numbers up, but it seems as far as Rightmove thinks, I belong in the same category!
Sorry, I'm starting to moan too much lol

If you're really desperate, have a chat with one of these "we'll buy your property companies". The problem you'll have, is that they may base it on the cheaper than normal price you've advertised it at, rather than the normal price of houses in your area.

Most reputable agents would ascertain that the purchaser has a deposit, and enough of a salary to be able to get a mortgage, but that doesn't mean that a lender will decide you're place is up to the mortgage required. You're agent obviously didn't do adequate checks, and took the purchasers at face value. If it's relisted on zoopla or rightmove, it's going to cost the agents more money, but as they didn't do their job properly, they should swallow the costs, not you. You may find that you've either got to leave the property for a few months, and then get it relisted, or go to a high street agent (who'll get paid upon the sale) and start again.

I've flicked through the thread, but haven't seen why you're selling cheaper than normal. As you've been messed around, and can't hold to you're original plans, it might well be worth going with a high st agent, and setting the price higher to recoup the first agents costs, and maybe a bit of the new costs as well. You're current buyer is never going to get a mortgage, and will very likely push for a lower price, so tell him where to go.
Hi, well that's where some irony comes in! I shouldn't need to go to a "we'll buy your property companies" at all. There is demand in my area, it shouldn't be this hard!
So I couldn't take what one of those type of companies would offer probably!
Prices over the last 6 months here have moved up, I didn't put it on cheap, but at a reasonable price to get a faster sale etc, but I really did expect to get the asking price. I am close to it, but with that fact and market has moved up here now over several months it is looking a bit lower than it really should be!

Yes you're right, the agent didn't do proper checks, or if they did the checks they do carry out fall way short of what I think most of us would expect. There have been a few surveys and nothing negative has come back on building or price.

I think you're right, buyers seem very unlikely to get the required mortgage, but I've again been told in principle they have it! (Deja Vu)! Like I said I have my deadlines so that's the only reason I'm entertaining this, and I've made it very clear I'll not be dropping my price a penny more!

I don't have time to remove it and relist in over 3 months later, so new agent it might have to be, that will be a very hard pill to push down if I need to, but the buyers will not get anything more off the price than they already have.

Thanx all for your advice.

I agree, I can see one property near me that looks pretty good and the highstreet agent has it on I would say at least 25k less than it should be!
I don't think I got best advice, it was too quick to go with my first offer, but I was given the impression it was possible to sell within the time-frame I wanted! In reality this was bad advice, wrong advice, mistaken advice. If I would have known the truth I of course wouldn't have gone with the offer, but I am where I am!
If you had a bonafida buyer ready to move at the drop of a hat, and you were willing to accept a price reduction for a fast move, that is one thing. But I think you have been crapped on from a great height by an agent who tried to undersell your property to someone who was not at all ready. It would not surprise me if they knew each other.

Sponsored Links
Back