GAS BOILER PROBLEMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi hope someone can help i have just moved into a house with a myson apollo gas boiler. i know the boiler is old and will need replacing but i am trying to keep it going over winter i have a few problems first the pilot would not stay alight i had a guy out who replaced a coupling and a boiler stat, now the boiler will light run for 45 mins or so then you get a banging noise from the boiler/pipes area and the boiler shuts down (but the pilot stays alight) it wont restart unless you mess about with the gas button on the front of the boiler. it seems that the rads get very hot before it cuts out. any ideas i plan to replace the system in spring just want to try and keep going till then
any suggestions appreciated
ta

Sponsored Links
ONly run it on Low and see how it goes.
Usual problems are the other stats, tired pump, sludge in system, scale in boiler.

turn up the pump if possible. if already at max, either pump half dead or sludge in system, or both

Sponsored Links
Usually banging is overheating, but these boilers have the overheat in series with the pilot (I think) so if this trips then the pilot should go out.

You state yours doesn't. I think you need to find out if the correct thermocouple has been fitted and correctly before anything else.

I agree with the other 2 posts about possible causes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back