Gas Fire - bit missing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've recently purchased a property which has a back boiler doing the heating and water. It has a gas fire in front which seems to have a bit missing - perhaps a flue inspection cover? I'm not sure if this is normal - I certainly haven't see one like this before and it seems a bit silly as all the heat is going straight up the flue. The fire/boiler has had annual servicing (according to the paperwork) so I would have thought this would have been picked up if it was a problem?

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
DSC01951.JPG DSC01950.JPG DSC01949.JPG

Sponsored Links
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Unless I'm very much mistaken, that looks like a hideous butchery of a gas fire to make it fit an old back boiler unit. If I'm correct then it's illegally modified and probably classifiable as Immediately Dangerous, in which case it should not be used under any circumstances. Is there any kind of data plate for the fire behind the brass fretwork that you could photograph and post?

Last edited:
Thanks for the speedy reply muggles. It didn't strike me as anything immediately dangerous but that's why I'm asking. It looks like it just has a missing plate. Nothing appears to be obviously mutilated?

Unfortunately this new property is a some way away and that's probably the only thing I didn't get a picture of :) I'll take one when I'm back down there in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Has the fire got controls on the side top right 3 or 4 buttons ?

It's got a single sliding control on the top right - slide all the way down to start and back up 3/4 of the way for max power. Thanks.

Looks like one of baxi's insets but looks slim they're usually wider..from what I've seen

Picture of the data badge would be good, does the lower grate cover open up?
Yes, it does open up. I will grab a picture when I next visit.

I've just had a look through the bundle of paperwork that the seller left for us and it would appear, according to the manuals, I have a Glowworm Inset BBU 50 back boiler with a Glowworm Chatsworth BBU fire. According to the manuals they were designed to be fitted together.

Fairly sure it USD a Glowworm fire. I believe they did one for a back boiler but I was always as Baxi man so cant be sure.
EDIT:
Yeah. Just googled it. 45/5 with a range of fires including Chatsworth. I seem to recall that the fire efficiency was about 50%. Then they changed their mind and started to claim about 70%.

The fire as a stand alone gave you a bug choice of trimns and colours. But failed big time and GW withdrew completely from the fire market

2nd Edit:
Didn't see the OPs last post. Useless Kindle Fire. Must buy new Laptop

Last edited:
Yes, it does open up. I will grab a picture when I next visit.

I've just had a look through the bundle of paperwork that the seller left for us and it would appear, according to the manuals, I have a Glowworm Inset BBU 50 back boiler with a Glowworm Chatsworth BBU fire. According to the manuals they were designed to be fitted together.
In that case I stand corrected - haven't ever seen a fire front for a BBU that looks like that before!

Many thanks for all the replies!

So is the consensus that the hole is normal and there isn't something missing?

DSC01949.JPG

Yup, all seems good from an MI point of view, that's the way it should be as the chaps have mentioned. As long as it's had an extensive gas safety check/service and satisfactory flue and ventilation tests then all should be OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back