Gas meter problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A cautionary tale this one.
A friend(really) of mine has upset a gas supplier over the payment of a bill and after removing the meter will not replace it.
A future supplier will not supply gas until the meter is replaced by the previous supplier.
This cannot be done because the previous supplier is annoyed by the friend.

How does he get a meter fitted so the supple can be gained.?

Sponsored Links
Bit puzzled by this,,,,,who removed the gas meter, was it your friend or the supplier???????? the gas supply pipes and everything up and including the gas meter belong to transco and should not be removed by anybody except them and it is also illegal!!

The supplier instigated the removal of just the meter, by I guess, Transco.
Even if the bill is paid the supplier no longer want anything to do with the user. Not me, I pay my bills.

Does he go to Transco then?

Sponsored Links
JB.... believe me I do not want to offend you because that's not my mission and people helpfully reply to my requests are the best. So, please read my question again and and tell me how I could have written it so that you could understand my friends predicament.
You see all the answers to your reply are in the question.

Wreckedit..no offence taken or meant but the bit I was not sure about was who removed the gas meter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend(really) of mine has upset a gas supplier over the payment of a bill and after removing the meter will not replace it.

this could be taken as your friens or transco removed the meter.
Transco supplies the gas and you can take any supplier you wish to but if your supplier has a problem with payment the go through the legal system to get payment ,bayliffs,courts ect ect but Transco themselves will not remove the gas meter unless its for safety reasons.
If the supplier has removed the meter the it is illegal.
Speak to another supplier and tell them there is no meter in the premises and they will send out transco to replace it but be aware there will be charges involved unless they have just MOVED into the property and discovered the meter missing ;) ;) ;)

Also I am sure Transco has a legal responsibility to supply gas to a premises if it is safe to do so

Also I am sure Transco has a legal responsibility to supply gas to a premises if it is safe to do so
Thats an interesting question,we all take it for granted that we have gas and electric, do who ever is supplying the gas/electric have a legal duty to do so,what about water as well?

This sounds very much like your friend is still in arrears with his previous supplier who ARE entitled to disconnect after a reasonable amount of time.

I will look into this but I think your friend will not get any gas from any supplier until he clears the arrears. :(

If however there has been any evidence of tampering with the meter etc......reconnection won't be on the table for a long time!

He did contest a bill they sent him and they agreed on a settlement.

Then, I think, they put him on a bad risk register and refused to deal with him.
He wasn't aware they would do that and when I enquired for him on getting the gas put back they refused to get him a meter. Hence no supplying of gas.

I'll try Transco on Monday and see what they have to say.

Other than that can any suitable qualified person obtain and fit a meter or is it a cartel?

no they do not

they have a legal responsibility to dissconnect unsafe installations

Other than that can any suitable qualified person obtain and fit a meter or is it a cartel?

no you can't and yes it is

i know what i would do

but i ain't telling :LOL: :LOL: ;)

why not get him to phone saying hes just moved in and there is no meter, wont they come and fit one? providing they dont know its your friend.

why not get him to phone saying hes just moved in and there is no meter, wont they come and fit one? providing they dont know its your friend.

they all share a database the last supplier will still be listed along with the owner / tennants name

in effect it's commiting fraud if he gives them a dodgy name :cry:

which is ok till you get caught

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back