Gas meter problem

About the only time they will totally remove the meter is if they suspect theft of gas.
Most meters now belong not to Transco but to MAM's (meter asset managers) on the behalf of suppliers.

Sponsored Links
And if they suspect a meter, (gas, electric or water), has been tampered with then you the occupier will be held accountable even if it was the previous owner/tenant.
They will back track the records for that property, make an assessment as to how much has been obtained dishonestly, send you a bill for that amount and may even prosecute you for theft.
Again, even if you didn't do it you are liable from the moment you take occupancy. So if/when you move house take a meter(s) reading of the property you are leaving and a meter(s) reading of the new place and tell them straight away to avoid this situation.
Better still, get them to come out and take a reading then make a note of it yourself for future reference.

What happened was the tariff was changed at some point and was not noticed (checked by him) until a sizeable amount of money was outstanding.
My friend objected to it and refused to pay it. It was then pointed out to him that the change was allowed in the small print of the contract.
A settlement figure was agreed on to pay. However, it did unknown to him, cause him to be put on a bad risk register with the supplier who now willn't deal with him. Hence not, refit the meter.
No gas was stolen or the meter tampered with. Hence no prosecution. This was a simple dispute over the bill. It is the case that even if he paid the disputed amount they still willn't deal with him because he upset them.
I am trying to get it back on for him while he is convalescing over a recent bereavement and as I am living in his premises at the moment it's getting a bit cold.
I am cooking on those cheap camping stoves, quite successfully, and using electric heaters to warm the rooms. I am not looking for sympathy and am interested in how this meter problem will be resolved.
I'll get on to Transco today and see what they say.

As far as my situation is concerned for some, I have a prostrate problem that drugs hardly overcome and get a very disturbed sleep. I find a session on the comp. gets me tired and I go off to sleep until the next time.
I wouldn't do this at home because I don't walk passed my comp. on the way to the loo.
Being on my own I get a bit of fun and a real laugh on this site despite the shyte that goes on at times.

Sponsored Links
I would ************* :eek:

explosion.png

DIYDANDY, please edit your post to remove the information in the quote. The post will be deleted, we don't want any reference to it lingering around.

Thanks.

Moderator 10
Moderator Comment Posted: September 27th 2010, 4:46 am Comment:
Still accessible from GD and gas plumbers might not see it there.

why would they want to

does it involve gas ?
does it involve leakage ?
does it involve a gas problem ?

no it involves a meter being removed over an outstanding bill :rolleyes:

Something does not ring right on this i have removed meters from people who have owed £2000 plus and fitted prepayment meters that took it back at a whole £2.50 a week.
Been to houses where people have bypassed meters ,tampered with them etc etc owing thousands and thousands and have never heard of them not being able to get a meter back in, even at most not longer than a couple of days.

Something does not ring right on this i have removed meters from people who have owed £2000 plus and fitted prepayment meters that took it back at a whole £2.50 a week.
Been to houses where people have bypassed meters ,tampered with them etc etc owing thousands and thousands and have never heard of them not being able to get a meter back in, even at most not longer than a couple of days.

I like your reply, not ringing right with the supplier is the matter. How can they not refit a meter of some description.

How can they not refit a meter of some description.

They will but will now be a pre pay cranked up for any debt still due.
If a settlement figure was arrived at this implies they have had to write some amount of debt off.
You will probably need to eat some humble pie and offer to settle in full through a pre pay meter.
Play the pensioner / bad health card. They won't like bad publicity "should" anything happen as a result of their/your actions come the cold weather.

Btw the snow has arrived in the Cairngorns :LOL:

To the Mod who removed it off GD. You are totally wrong to do that, in as much this has nothing to do with plumbing and central heating. It is a good topic and in general much discussed salutary lesson in how the customer and suppliers behave. If I was watching this instead of posting it I would have been very interested in the outcome. Its like a David and Goliath fight between slight and might. So, please, think again and not allow it to be side tracked.
This is not anything to do with a plumbing and heating problem.

Its a damned good topic, a healthily debated topic, worthy of inclusion on GD, not anything like some of the efflorescence you ought to dump but don't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back