Gas meter problem

I don't think we've got the full story somehow.

Sponsored Links
Me too. I've never heard of a gas supplier removing a gas meter because they were 'annoyed' with the customer!

How did they gain access to his house to remove the meter?

You don't need to gain access to the outside of the house which is where many gas meters are fitted nowadays.
It's that big white box that you can often see on the front of a house sometimes. Sometimes for electric meter.

Also, as previous said the gas meter people have a statuary right to gain access. So, could turn up with the law if needed.

Sponsored Links
I don't think we've got the full story somehow.

Reply to others as well.

The simple fact is what I have written. The chap contested a bill and by agreement paid a proportion of it. Now, what the supplier didn't tell him is that when they took the meter away they would not put it back on again.

By the way he didn't read the small print on the contract.

I am not sure that, even if he paid the contested amount, they would want anything to do with him now.

I guess this sort of thing has happened to people before.

Me too. I've never heard of a gas supplier removing a gas meter because they were 'annoyed' with the customer!

They remove it if a supplier of gas is not contracted within a certain period of time.

You have to bear in mind that a meter still has gas pressure on it. I guess as a temporary measure they can turn it off and fit a lock then later remove it.

I think you will find this is policy.

A gas fitter would be able to explain it further.

For those of you sceptics, I like you, are interested in how this will turn out.

Apart from the fact the posts are a bit boring at the moment. :cry:

And I see the site was scammed yesterday which probably was somebody trying to tell us something. :rolleyes:

I fell behind on my gas payments, I was being charged something daft like £4 a quarter, when I moved in, so I rang up BG, explained that I'm being billed incorrectly, but they assured me that all was OK. So this continues for a few years, and I've sent them letters, phoned them up, syaing something is wrong, but assured that everything is OK, the chap came out to read it, everything OK, assurances again.

Next thing, gets a £2k bill through the door! I'm on the phone again, and they said read the number off the front of the meter, which I do for the umteenth time, and they say 'Oh sorry, you have the WRONG type of meter fitted', you have to pay the arrears. SO I refuse, and they won't accept the evidence that I'd been contacting them, so afaik are not allowed to not leave you with a gas supply, but must fit a prepayment meter, unless the property is unoccupied. But when the meter is topped up £20, it immediately took £6, then the rest lasted for 2-3 days, in summer. But I paid it all off, and they fitted a normal meter.

But again I fell behind, and they cut it off again and fitted a prepayment meter, this time it doesn't drain cash, but recently got a letter that it was configured incorrectly.

Then I got a letter from Transco, that said that as the meter isn't being used, then they are digging the pipe up from the mains to my house! WTF?

On the second change of meter, the gas guy turned up with a bailiff, and they have the right to enter your property, if you don't answer the door, or are not in. 1st meter they fitted didn't work!

But to completely remove the meter, and not offer a prepayment meter? sounds odd. IF the property was occupied, and the supply had not been tampered with..and their computer records are properly screwed, if they can bill incorrectly for years.

MM..........Yours was really messy. But you're right. Why did they not offer my friend a prepayment meter. Maybe I haven' t the full story.

Doesn't matter anyway.

MM..........Yours was really messy. But you're right. Why did they not offer my friend a prepayment meter. Maybe I haven' t the full story.

Doesn't matter anyway.

You say I'm RIGHT, but then say it 'doesn't matter anyway', so if it don't matter, why post it? I'm going off my own personal experience....if that is inconclusive to you, then fine.

You say I'm RIGHT, but then say it 'doesn't matter anyway', so if it don't matter, why post it? I'm going off my own personal experience....if that is inconclusive to you, then fine.

The 'matter 'referred to was his complete side of the story not the matter I post about.

I have never heard about what can happen if the gas bill/supplier situation like this occurs.

I for one will be interested how it resolves itself.

What is it with all these late night posts? Are they all drunk, homeless, DSS claiming threadbears? As they suggested to me? Or why do they make the same claims against me?

GET A JOB - STOP ROBBING THE SYSTEM!!! Don't post so late at night, People in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.etc etc..

I agree with you mate. People shouldn't fiddle their gas meter either.

What is it with all these late night posts? Are they all drunk, homeless, DSS claiming threadbears? As they suggested to me? Or why do they make the same claims against me?

GET A JOB - STOP ROBBING THE SYSTEM!!! Don't post so late at night, People in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.etc etc..

Apart from trying to change the topic you left out insomniacs, pensioners, benign prostrate hyperpllasia sufferers, night workers (many types), and a load more who keep this world running. In fact if you think about it 12:30am here is 12:00pm somewhere else so so you could include that lot, must be a few billion of them.

think about it, it was a sat night, its a late start for a lot come sunday u nugget

I would like to thank you SP because when somebody puts up a word I'd not heard before I google it and bingo. We have something interesting to look at.

You don't have to go on about what else it can means because its not printable on this website. You'd get zapped!

Once again thank you for those kind words. Now take a look at this.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=6

What will happen if you and others carry on the way they do in the threads the Mods will block it and then with this topic like others you have taken over it will not conclude successfully. Which is a shame because I should imagine that a lot of viewers are interested in seeing that happen for their own knowledge store.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back