gas pipe in stub wall battened off

Sponsored Links
he said to just put a batten either side if you put a gas pipe

But as I was intimating - there is either side, and then their is either side.

Gas inspectors don't know everything either.

The key - and most important thing to learn early on is that you will never know everything, but you need to know where to find it and how to ask for it.

upload_2015-9-6_23-18-38.png

Problem at the moment is a lack of places to ask. Suppose once I get qualified this will change. I see what can I done about this pipe tomorrow. Haven't really made a mistake just not had the training in gas yet.

Sponsored Links
Suppose once I get qualified this will change.

Once you have ACS there is the Combustion Chamber here. There are also other online resources. Within reason people will help you in the open forum here, but gas advise is restricted on the grounds that it is not for a single person's eyes - thousands of people read this forum daily so what one person might act upon responsibly might then be abused by some other person leaving the forum owners and the contributors open to legal issues.

I have heard the metalic protection is not used much though?

It isn't - and isn't universally demonstrated in the standards. However, it is there to prevent physical harm. We are more concerned with explosive mixtures here. A leak can be repaired. An explosion can not be undone.

Thanks. Without the backing piece the area the pipe runs in will be too large. Is a 3x2 stud wall so maybe 2x2 behind it will do. It is for a gas fire that may or may not go in. It hopefully won't. And this pipe would come redundant. I.e not connected up to the gas.

It isn't - and isn't universally demonstrated in the standards. However, it is there to prevent physical harm. We are more concerned with explosive mixtures here. A leak can be repaired. An explosion can not be undone.
But the use of a backing piece to encase the pipe is defferntly needed?

But the use of a backing piece to encase the pipe is defferntly needed?

It's all about the volume IMHO. Perhaps one of the others would like to confirm.

Provided the cavity in which a leak of gas could cause an explosive mixture is small enough that the energy from that volume of explosive gas is small enough to not do serious damage then the possibility of a leak into that cavity seems to be acceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back