gas pipe in stub wall battened off

Sponsored Links
Are you saying as well as a batten either side of the pipe it needs a wooden backing batten behind the pipe also?

As shown here. I haven't got my gas yet am starting the course in September. But the gas safe engineer on our new build site is on hols for 2 weeks at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Suppose a wooden batten behind the pipe will keep the space around the pipe to a minimum. Is the what you meant Dan when you said the pipe is not fully encased across its length?

So read page 138. Look at my diagram - taken from the british standard that your book is based upon.#

upload_2015-9-6_22-53-6.png

Is nothing like your picture.

upload_2015-9-6_22-53-46.png

Hence the rules on ventilation.

upload_2015-9-6_22-56-47.png

Hence us talking about LEL and UEL earlier.

It's all to do with minimising the risk of a large explosive cocktail.

Last edited:
Thanks that is the picture I saw in the book. Never know about the need for a backing batten till saw that. I thought it was just a batten either side. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do I start the course in October.

Is clipped at the noggins in the wall so every 1.2m the limit is 2m for vertical for gas I think?

We had a gas inspector out to see the gsr engineer at our firm a few weeks back I'm sure he said to just put a batten either side if you put a gas pipe in a stud wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back