Getting a job done in Wales. ??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately I've lived in Wales now for over 20 years, and I still haven't sussed out how you actually get someone to even give you an estimate, let alone actually come and do a job.
I wanted to extend my garage; 4 builders contacted. Only one turned up to price it. He got the job.
Central Heating. I want to upgrade my Central Heating...new boiler etc.. Had a quote from British Gas, but thought I'd offer it around to local gas so-called 'engineers'. Two looked, but didn't get back with a price.
Garden wall: I want a new wall (3ft high) along the front, and part of the side of my house. What happens is, they come and look....but don't get back to me with a price. WHY NOT? I'm paying cash. It's not complicated. Hey Jared, waste of space.
I wanted a carpet fitted, stairs and landing. Two 'so-called Welsh carpet fitters' delivered the carpet. 'Yep, ok. £25.' 'Yes,' I said. 'Tuesday.' they said. 'Excellent.' I replied. Guess what? They didn't turn up.
What is it with the Welsh? SUCH a proud nation!!!!

Sponsored Links
I think this is for the Welsh to answer I don't want to get into trouble for being racist or stereotyping

Well living not far from clydach (birchgrove)myself - you must be unlucky - it does happen - had a person booked to do an EPC for me last week didnt turn up rang firm they couldnt be bothered to ring me back so contacted someone else turned up on time as well.....
Recently had bathroom done by a builder - top job
boiler changed to combi some rediculous quotes but guy did a good job.
wall ties done on wifes old house - another good job in really bad weather.
i can only wish you better luck and try people whom other people have used and recomend.

Are you an English white settler then mate?? We have 1000s in the Highlands of Scotland, there's one price for the EWSs & another for the locals, it's our own sort of tax system.

Yer average little Engerlander is a complete pain to work for, very know-it-all race!!

Sponsored Links
Are you an English white settler then mate?? We have 1000s in the Highlands of Scotland, there's one price for the EWSs & another for the locals, it's our own sort of tax system.

The only Highlanders with whom you are on speaking terms are the handful you employ as gamekeepers, and you are far from knowing what these think of you. So, to be frank, are we. For your Highlander's private opinions are as abstruse and unfathomable as your cat's, though possibly, as far as you are concerned, much the same. That is to say, it is improbable that he loves you, but he recognises that you provide him with a semi-gentlemanly livelihood that does not feel too like work. He has many virtues, but industry is not one of them. Neither is candour. On the other hand, he may claim to be the only man who can be a complete sycophant without forfeiting his dignity.
http://www.electricscotland.com/lifestyle/weekend19.htm

Yer average little Engerlander is a complete pain to work for, very know-it-all race!!

But pays the bills ...
[/i]

I say dear boy, if I understood half of that I may be offended. You write very well for someone from the Raploch........... :eek:

Thanks for sharing, I'll have 'Cook' place an order directly, it looks excellent fayre, give my kindest regards to your wife/sister for the heads-up,

I did see her in the Thistle Centre the other day with your 14 weans. What a fine band of shoplifters they make!!

And this from the nation which gave us the deep-fried meat pie and the deep fried, battered Mars bar - both done in the same oil at the same time as the fish........ Adds to the flavour, I'm told :eek:

That's what you get for having lived up there. :mrgreen:

At least they taste better than the steamed minced mutton and lumpy tatties an squashed fairy soup (ministrone) we had at school

Well living not far from clydach (birchgrove)myself - you must be unlucky - it does happen - had a person booked to do an EPC for me last week didnt turn up rang firm they couldnt be bothered to ring me back so contacted someone else turned up on time as well.....
Recently had bathroom done by a builder - top job
boiler changed to combi some rediculous quotes but guy did a good job.
wall ties done on wifes old house - another good job in really bad weather.
i can only wish you better luck and try people whom other people have used and recomend.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/trade-talk/getting-a-job-done-in-wales.329543/#2447617#ixzz1zr92T88p.

Well, thanks for your sensible reply before the w""kers joined in!
I live in Clydach. I moved to Wales in 1989 from (omits the E word)! I've employed people here, earned a living, paid my taxes, don't sponge off the benefit system.
When I retired I began doing odd-jobbing and DIY jobs for people, and soon I had more customers than I could handle; from gardening to decorating to fencing to plumbing and more. I had lots of satisfied customers who knew they could rely on me to TURN UP and do a good job; at £10 an hour. I never conned anyone or overcharged them.
And they all said they couldn't get anyone to do the jobs for them. Well, surprise, surprise!
You suggest getting sombody who's been used and recommended. Well, I've done that in almost every case.
Sepi: recommended by a neighbour. Then he was doing a roof across the road; my wife asked him to give us a quote for our wall. He didn't bother. Happily, because more than 2 months later, he still hasn't finished my neighbour's roof!! Lucky escape there then. Take my wall down and p=ss off for weeks! Yeah right.

Clydach Construction. Already had a mention; a Welsh acquaintance of mine needed some roof work; guess what? They didn't even bother to turn up. Like they didn't turn up to estimate the work on my garage. These people are a special waste of time.
Wasters, mate. Total wasters.

When I retired I began doing odd-jobbing and DIY jobs for people, and soon I had more customers than I could handle; from gardening to decorating to fencing to plumbing and more. I had lots of satisfied customers who knew they could rely on me to TURN UP and do a good job; at £10 an hour. I never conned anyone or overcharged them.

Well, we maybe a warring, uncouth & drunken race. But through my alcoholic state I can clearly see where you are going wrong 'Squire'.
If you've been doing your Handyman around the houses of course these guys will get wind of it & view you are a 'tyre kicker'.

WARNING SIGNS when visiting customers to give them a price;
They say;
'Take your shoes off at the Front Door'
'Oh I can do a bit of Builder work myself you know'
'I'd offer you tea, but there's never any milk in the fridge'
'Ignore the 12 kids, they'll not get in your way'
'Ignore the 6 dogs, they'll not get in your way'
'We're waiting for a loan to come through & as soon as we get it we'll pay you'
'My husband did most of the work himself before he died'
'Can you park your van around the back of the house'
'My Accountant pays all my bills'
'Daddy pays all my bills'
'Can my son help you, he's just out of jail'
'Can you keep an eye on the Painters while you're here, I think he's been in my underware drawer'
'Oh we bought all the sanitary ware ourselves from B&Q'
'The bath will be here next week we bought it on-line'
Etc, etc, etc............

Sponsored Links
Back