Getting Behind Kitchen Cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some mice coming in through a hole in the wall behind the kitchen cupboards, the dishwasher inlet comes in through a 6" hole (I managed to squeeze my camera down the back that's how I know that)

I can't get to this hole so it seems the only thing to do is to cut through the back of the cupboard, seal the hole, and fix the cupboard back somehow.

Unless there is a magic trick anyone knows of ????

(Where does this hole go to ? Well, on the other side of the wall is the bath in the bathroom, and it seems plumbing is descending into the neighbours flat below in the wall)

full

full

full

Sponsored Links
I would let your neighbour know there are nice. It would be good if they could stop them entering their own property.
I don't know if nice will eat spray foam, as that might be something that you could squirt in the whole.

Hmm ... well the neighbour is currently exchanging (selling).
Question I have is how to get to the hole - I can't reach round.
I might try to pull the dishwasher out, that might be possible only worry is disturbing the inlet/ outlet.
If not looks like cutting into the back of the cupboard.

Well it needs to be tackled, but you may only move the problem, by blocking the holes, you need to eradicate it.
Maybe try poisons first until the new people move in.

Sponsored Links
You should be able to get an expanding foam gun through your existing holes into the hole and fill with foam, pvc tubing can be used to extend the reach if required.

From personal experience, mice will eat through foam. We did try adding in brillo pads and then using foam around that. It's a temporary measure as once mice have a usual route, they'll try and follow it.

Mice will get through any hole that a normal pencil can fit through. They look for food so make sure all edible food is in plastic or metal containers. Don't leave anything lying around. Wash and put away all dishes.

For traps, mice tend to be wary of anything "new" so lay some traps without setting them so they're used to it. Then add bait and set the trap. Wooden traps are better than reusable plastic ones (the latter would "trap" them but not kill the mice so they'd jump around trying to escape). Once you've killed all the mice, then seal up any and all gaps that you can find.

It is a lot of work but can't you remove the cupboard?

I had to shift all my cupboards along an inch due to a spot of bad planning and was able to disconnect each cupboard from it's neighbour and it was on screw feet so lowered it and pulled out.

Or cut the back of the cupboard out

Thanks for all replies.
Cannot reach from the kickboard / plinth, but managed to wiggle the spray foam hose in through the existing holes and sealed it. Also found dropping in the attic and an area in the party wall with 2 previous spray foam applications and some dropping, so assume mice have been through this way before. Foamed that place up again, removed the droppings and will monitor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back