Getting somewhere with boiler smell!

Sponsored Links
Right Tony the masking tape has worked! No smell when the boiler went off this afternoon. So obviously the boiler casing seal is passing so this is good knowledge.

But is replacing the casing seal at this stage not fixing the symptom as opposed to the problem?

Is it normal to have a smell inside the boiler but it's ok because the casing seal stops it coming into the room?

We did right at the start of this have CO alarms going off although it's never happened since.

Replacement casing seal shouldn't be the only fix or should it?

Thanks

The case is designed to keep POC inside the boiler.

But as I recall you did not always get the smell?

Why not wait a couple of weeks to be more certain?

Tony

Your memory is good.

We didn't have this smell previously. It was serviced end of November and two weeks after the service the sump was changed.

It was after the sump change we noticed the smell one night. The next night the CO alarms went off.

Sponsored Links
If the casing seal is defective, this should have been spotted by the attending engineer(s) - should have been the first thing to check, based on your description to them, by using a smoke match!

The problem dilalio the engineers don't seem able to positively test and eliminate things. They visual everything and check flu gas as the operation is ok they seem stumped.

In their defence the seal looks ok and I come from an elastomer engineering back ground. I'll ask them to smoke test it. Ive personally done that in a wood burner but didn't know it could be done on a boiler casing!

Fan run on is 4 minutes I've timed it several times.

I wish I could get to the bottom of it believe me.

The personal attacks on here are cowardly as hell. I've two young kids we had no boiler over Christmas. Ive been out of work for 6 months and have an acumulating bill from a company who don't have a fukin clue how to fault find in this situation hence the reason I'm on here trying to work out what it might be so I can tell them. To suggest someone would spend time on here making up posts is absurd.

The problem is simple

Boiler stinks of burnt flu type gas smell after it goes off it does it 90% of the time. It's absolutely 100% coming from inside the boiler. But several are insistent I'm either on here for kicks or have a dead mouse in the boiler! I don't expect it is easy do diagnose on here but if you don't know don't turn to abuse to cover it please.

Fan run on is 4 minutes I've timed it several times.

We know.

To suggest someone would spend time on here making up posts is absurd.

You wouldn't be the first.

a dead mouse in the boiler

That wouldn't be the first.

It's absolutely 100% coming from inside the boiler.

Does not mean it is the boiler.

I don't expect it is easy do diagnose on here

Not least because you can't make up your mind what the smell is. Nor have you furnished us with consistent information. AND you've spread this saga across several threads.

Did I misread or did u say you've taken 6 months off work to get this sorted? As Dan said above thread is comical and same can be said for some of the advice you've received on here is also comical. You reckon it does it 90% of the time so why can't whoever you've got looking at it come and get it to do it and diagnose it ? If it is an actual issue at all.

They have been here taken the cover off been hit with the smell and went wholly fxk.

I wish I knew why they can't find it.

I'm in the middle of arguing over the bill with them before I get another company to look at it.

Try finding an 'engineer' and not a 'company' - an individual who comes recommended... if you don't have one through relatives or friends, ask in your local 'independent' plumbers' merchant for the number of 'the best guy they know for fault finding'. It is such a unique problem you seem to be having that only by being there could "any" of us truly give a valid appraisal!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back