Getting somewhere with boiler smell!

Sponsored Links
I've had the cover off (wrong I know). The smell comes from the plastic motor housing sitting on top of the fan.

What makes a bit of sense now is the fan and venturi are cool during boiler operation but the heat from the heat exchanger transfers to the metal fan housing after the boiler has gone off. 10 mins later the fan housing and venturi are very hot.

This heat is then baking the plastic motor housing etc it's a burnt plastic smell.

Maybe sonmeting in the motor and the little pcb etc is not right.

This sits right above the gas valve. The nozzle that sticks up inside the venturi is soaking is this right? But there is a gassy smell as well this is obviously mixing with the burning plastic smell though but this could be moist vapour etc which there seems to be coming from the burner housing back through the fan and down the venturi.

The gas has been checked from the meter several times which would be tested against the closed gas valve when the boiler is off. It's always passed. Unlikely to be intermittent enough to pass a static test several times but be passing at other times?

Last edited:
Behind the rubber flange there is just a void into the cavity wall. But the flu pipe externally has been cemented into the hole and then masonry painted.

Sponsored Links
I don't know what the FGA readings are?

I'm left with a great big read out receipt after each boiler analysis they do with loads of info on would it be on that?

And you acuse DIY folk on here of wasting time.

The threads on here would be half as long if the pish patter was banned. Que a load more pish patter! Lol.

Thanks to the useful folk so far.

And you acuse DIY folk on here of wasting time.

The threads on here would be half as long if the pish patter was banned. Que a load more pish patter! Lol.

Thanks to the useful folk so far.

I told you already - go to nearest independent - explain the fun and games you're having with the service company and ask if they know and engineer who is thorough and likes to get his teeth into an unusual problem - they should know someone... I do :sneaky:

Edit: you'll have to cough up for it though!

Very unlikely, air or smell from the air intake could only get into the room if the seal on the air chamber was damaged and leaking

......room seal-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outside---air intake----air chamber----into fan--out of fan----mix air with gas-----combustion chamber---heat exchanger----flue to outside
.....room seal---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the smell of combustion might be entering the room through a window, air vent, extractor or other opening.

It's called a seal but don't talke it too literally, it certainly wouldn't hold water.....or odours come to that.

It's called a seal but don't talke it too literally, it certainly wouldn't hold water.....or odours come to that.

Well if it can't hold odours then it can't hold CO or CO² either. So does it serve any real purpose in the safe operation of the boiler.

Not on most condensers, may make a slight difference to readings on some.

Pic attached. This was put in 5 years ago. We've been told is still complies to latest regs.

It's a smell with the boiler casing that escapes into the room. One of the RGEs agreed this one time he took the cover off and got the smell.

Do you have a Dug BR? Miele not cheap machines!!!
Got to ask; why's there a bowl below the boiler? In fact, why is there a large chopping board & towel??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back