Glow Worm 18R mind of its own

In with the orange (switched live from the 3 port) you have switched live from the cylinder stat (black wire) live to pump (brown wire) and a yellow and red wire, you need to trace where these wires go to as one of them is the switched live to the boiler , do the frost stat wires go back to the junction box ?

Sponsored Links
7FF26FB5-351D-4AA2-A08C-C597353EEB14.jpeg
0FAFCE1B-571C-4B57-AA59-D25E696A30FF.jpeg
AECAAA19-A7E0-4AEC-8DD8-5EA5BEC01623.jpeg
817E462A-292A-4BCE-9C25-F74CD61E215C.jpeg
In with the orange (switched live from the 3 port) you have switched live from the cylinder stat (black wire) live to pump (brown wire) and a yellow and red wire, you need to trace where these wires go to as one of them is the switched live to the boiler , do the frost stat wires go back to the junction box ?[/QUOTE

Think I may have just found the laziest workman !!

so I’ve completely stripped junction box out (I’m anal with things being neat and it was just horrendous) I also noticed some bare wires which need correcting

this has allowed me to trace every wire

so the boiler cable from junction box terminates at a switch at side of boiler

when I removed that to buzz wiring out I discovered that one wire is made safe and not connected ( from this switch is a normal 3 wire flex which possibly confused the fitter) hence his bodge to overcome it maybe??

that spare wire actually terminated in junction box on the choc block but is not connected to anything else

so he has obviously not noticed there was a wire there available

so I’m off out to buy a bigger jcn box and hopefully make everything correct and tidy

And it looks like the pump has not been wired to the X14 connector either...
You neighbour's a cowboy...

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
AEE8DB95-13F3-45FF-AD92-E92332550F9A.jpeg
9854E54F-D331-4896-8295-4217A6F2275D.jpeg
New jcn box fitted and all wiring back “as was” well almost

did best I could with wires that were literally cut to length like guitar strings ! But bit neater, easier to see what’s going on and all cables now identified and labeled

plumber had used the switch live (yellow wire) also connected to live to pump, cylinder stat switched live, 3 port switched live and frost stat switched live - he had used that at the boiler as the live and bridges across to RT

As there was a spare red wire (boiler cable) not used between junction box and boiler I have wired that as Live on boiler (removed bridge wire between Live & RT) and permanent live in jcn box, the boiler yellow wire linked in paragraph above, I have now wired to RT

all seems to be functioning correctly now and boiler now reacts to room stat and cylinder stat as I would expect

my only question now is how should he have wired pump to X14 connector?

AND - more importantly, what, if any action should be considered against the installer? Fuming really as I paid £350 + vat Labour to fit replacement boiler

Last edited:
The manual wiring diagram appears to show X14 has a plug connector that the pump is wired to...or can you wire the pump direct to X14.
Often boilers need to control the pump in order to run the pump after a burner shutdown to remove residual heat.
Did you get a building control notice?

Building control notice??

Had to go back to installer for a certificate for boiler installation as house is for sale and apparently a legal requirement. Didn’t supply one on install then took a few weeks for him to sort it with Gas Safe for whatever reason

I’ll have to get some more in-depth info on the pump and X14

Although I’m tech in my job I’m certainly no plumber / spark nor central heating engineer but learned the basics this weekend sufficient to correct my neighborly installers shoddy work

is this X14 / pump bit something that needs sorting before sale of property?

is this X14 / pump bit something that needs sorting before sale of property?
yes the pump MUST be controlled by the boiler, not all boilers are the same but yours is, if you dont it will come back and bite you as the boiler will suffer from intermittent lockouts

Under the Part L building regulations certain home improvements require notification to the local authority...boilers, cylinders etc.
Normally once a boiler is installed the installer will notify the installation to Gas-Safe and that then generates the compliance notice...perhaps this is what you now have.
In addition the boiler manual has the benchmark commissioning page at the back...this must be filled in too otherwise it's possible the warranty will be voided.
I would also check with Glowworm that the boiler has been registered with them.
During the conveyancing process the buyers solicitor (if they are on the ball) will request these documents.

Under the Part L building regulations certain home improvements require notification to the local authority...boilers, cylinders etc.
Normally once a boiler is installed the installer will notify the installation to Gas-Safe and that then generates the compliance notice...perhaps this is what you now have.
In addition the boiler manual has the benchmark commissioning page at the back...this must be filled in too otherwise it's possible the warranty will be voided.
I would also check with Glowworm that the boiler has been registered with them.
During the conveyancing process the buyers solicitor (if they are on the ball) will request these documents.

Yes, the wife has confirmed that this was the process required by solicitors and all that paperwork is now complete after chasing the installer. We have the gas safe cert and Glow Worm confirmation of registration.
Rear of Glow Worm manual is also now filled in by installer.

appreciate your advice ;)

yes the pump MUST be controlled by the boiler, not all boilers are the same but yours is, if you dont it will come back and bite you as the boiler will suffer from intermittent lockouts

any possibility you could go further on the physical wiring to the x14 please? Nothing online that is gives any indication on how to wire that

any possibility you could go further on the physical wiring to the x14 please? Nothing online that is gives any indication on how to wire that
it is in the installation manual, simply LN&E into the plug nothing complicated about it, the boiler needs this to remove residual heat when the boiler switches off, to prevent damage to the boiler

it is in the installation manual, simply LN&E into the plug nothing complicated about it, the boiler needs this to remove residual heat when the boiler switches off, to prevent damage to the boiler

that will definitely require flooring / carpeting up to enable the extra wiring to be installed ‍♂️

this boiler can be wired up with switched supply/power. it is not the preferred method as fault codes etc don't work.

There will already be a N and E at the joint box, so if the OP has a spare wire between boiler and joint box, he could make use of that.

Lacking a spare, best to just run L+N+E from boiler to pump, via his joint box, then straight to the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back