Good Job I'm Moving!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
NPower have been charging me £176 every month for dual fuel on a DD.

I have just sent in my latest readings and got the statement back. The amended monthly payment is now £221.

I'm not using anything different to what I used to.

What the heck's going on?

Sponsored Links
Query it. I did this when BG upped my DD from £53 month to £66. When I phoned up they recalculated and actually dropped it to £50 month and I was still in credit after the winter.
Recently they sent me a bill on line for £97.74 for gas I was supposed to have used since moving last February. On querrying it they reduced it to £67 so I said no, the house has been empty. Recalculated it to £62, again I said no, there is no one living there and only 6 units have been used during this time for hot water when I used to go back and clean up.
Final recalculation came as £5.42 which I am now willing to accept.

Moral: ALWAYS query your bills, it could save you a fortune.
And keep records on a spreadsheet or something about how much energy you use during each period and how much it cost. (noting down the cost per unit at the side).

An acquaintance of mine was asked for an increase in his DD even though he was quite an amount in credit.

Thanks guys. I'm not too bothered, as I'm switching over in a coupla weeks. But I'd be mega pi**ed off if I wasn't swapping.

I do actually owe them 86.02, but even if I pay that off, it will only drop the payments to £213.

I have got the bills, thankfully, so I will be ringing them. I want them to explain...

Sponsored Links
That's the problem with those 'Cheshire Mansions' their very difficult to heat!! :) :)

You need to move south SS I only have a modest 4 bed semi and I only pay £120/month but that's to pay off the excess for the first 6 months after we brought the place and they never bothered contacting us!!!

Should drop to a reasonable £80 or so for combined G&E!!!

My dad used to be with BG. His account was over £200 in credit when they upped his direct debit by £12 a month. He phoned them and complained and they dropped his DD by £5. Makes you wonder which mathematician works out these DD amounts.

That's the problem with those 'Cheshire Mansions' their very difficult to heat!! :) :)

You need to move south SS I only have a modest 4 bed semi and I only pay £120/month but that's to pay off the excess for the first 6 months after we brought the place and they never bothered contacting us!!!

Hmm.... that sounds odd. I pay £80 a month for a modern one bed flat that I am only in for about 6 days a month, the heating has never been switched on, and the appliances are all electric.

Guess I should read my meters!!

I use British Gas for electric only (in the sticks - no gas). I manage the account on line, submitting monthly meter readings (and get 100 nectar points for each reading). I can monitor my usage as a bar chart on a monthly or quarterly basis, and compare with last year, check my direct debit against usage and change the direct debit on line as necessary. I can therefore see instantly if there is a problem and correct it on line.

Hmm.... that sounds odd. I pay £80 a month for a modern one bed flat that I am only in for about 6 days a month, the heating has never been switched on, and the appliances are all electric.

Guess I should read my meters!!

There's a feckin' North/ South divide for fuel now.... :rolleyes:

i am sure a lot off them are automatically upping amount to cover the pending annual increase

i got my annual statement from scottish power in credit by £34 annual consumption £672 payments to rise from £57=£94 :D :D

BG were forever trying to change our monthly payments for no reason, when they wanted to increase the monthly payment by 12 quid even though we were almost £500 in credit, I just stopped the payment altogether.

I make my meter readings online and then pay the exact amount for that months usage and not a penny more. So we have to pay a bit more over winter, the coldest, darkest months are still less than the monthly payment they wanted us to give all year round.

Sponsored Links
Back