Good Job I'm Moving!

NPower have been charging me £176 every month for dual fuel on a DD.............EDF havebeen charging me, £103.00 a month on DD!

I have just sent in my latest readings and got the statement back. The amended monthly payment is now £221 ...........I did exactly the same and my amended monthly DD payment has gone up to £106.00!

I am genuinely surprised at how little we pay for gas and electricity. We live in a 5 bedroom house, with a kitchen, utility room and 3 bathrooms.
Boiler fires up at 5.30am and the CH, set at 21 degrees is timed to stay on all day but after reaching the 21 degree setting, rarely comes on again.
The HW is also set at 5.30am and is timed to go off at 8am when everyone is showered. It comes back on again at 3.30pm for baths etc ,
and is timed to go off at 9.30pm but if no one is having a bath, we will often advance the HW to the 'OFF' setting.
Now I know that my loft is very well insulated - perhaps around 450mm on average, but still cant work out why our DD is so low, compared to, for example,Securespark.
PS Been with EDF for about 2 years now and prior to that was with BG at around £85.00 a month.

Sponsored Links
NPower have been charging me £176 every month for dual fuel on a DD.............EDF havebeen charging me, £103.00 a month on DD!

I have just sent in my latest readings and got the statement back. The amended monthly payment is now £221 ...........I did exactly the same and my amended monthly DD payment has gone up to £106.00!

I am genuinely surprised at how little we pay for gas and electricity. We live in a 5 bedroom house, with a kitchen, utility room and 3 bathrooms.
Boiler fires up at 5.30am and the CH, set at 21 degrees is timed to stay on all day but after reaching the 21 degree setting, rarely comes on again.
The HW is also set at 5.30am and is timed to go off at 8am when everyone is showered. It comes back on again at 3.30pm for baths etc ,
and is timed to go off at 9.30pm but if no one is having a bath, we will often advance the HW to the 'OFF' setting.
Now I know that my loft is very well insulated - perhaps around 450mm on average, but still cant work out why our DD is so low, compared to, for example,Securespark.
PS Been with EDF for about 2 years now and prior to that was with BG at around £85.00 a month.

That's is indeed odd, I pay £80 a month for a one bed flat, which has never had the heating on this year, and one I live in about 6 days a month! Hope I get a big rebate, and you don't get a huge bill!!

I'm surprised too, I thought I'm paying too much! I'm paying £147 per month (EDF) Bungalow, 4 bedrooms, utility room, 2 bathrooms with 14 radiators plus all hot water including garden hot tub but to be fair I don't have the heating on during the daytime unless it's really cold

A couple of days after replying to securespark's post, my wife asked if I could move the thermostat from the living room into the hall. Ever eager to earn brownie points and since it was a very simple job, I did so immediately. The result of moving the thermostat shocked me. The hall rarely reaches temperature, and since none of our radiators are fitted with thermostats, the CH hardly ever goes off and our gas consumption has rocketed. This morning the thermostat went back to the living room and consumption is, I hope, back to normal Has anyone else had this experience?

Sponsored Links
I have a BG Smart Stat (funnily enough, in the hall......)

How do they work WRT temperature sensing?

A couple of days after replying to securespark's post, my wife asked if I could move the thermostat from the living room into the hall. Ever eager to earn brownie points and since it was a very simple job, I did so immediately. The result of moving the thermostat shocked me. The hall rarely reaches temperature, and since none of our radiators are fitted with thermostats, the CH hardly ever goes off and our gas consumption has rocketed. This morning the thermostat went back to the living room and consumption is, I hope, back to normal Has anyone else had this experience?
The problem is you need to turn the radiator down and the wall stat higher in the same room for all the others radiator to reach normal temperature, the best way is to have all the radiators with TRV's with a by-pass or leave 1 radiator without TRV

The problem is you need to turn the radiator down and the wall stat higher in the same room for all the others radiator to reach normal temperature, the best way is to have all the radiators with TRV's with a by-pass or leave 1 radiator without TRV
Prior to moving the stat, and as I said in a post above, we have very low bills because when the stat in the living room reaches temp, the whole heating system goes off. However, I should point out that when the stat in the living room does reach 21 degrees and switches the pump off, the temperature upstairs, is always a good 2-3 degrees higher. I can only put this down to the excessive insullation installed in the roof space coupled with heat escaping from the cupboard with the boiler. Either way, I am not going to change things now that our gas consumption is back to normal.

its because hot air rises
if you measure the temperature at floor height and at ceiling height it will be very different

if you measure the temperature at floor height and at ceiling height it will be very different
As a hot air balloonist who never got off the ground, I nevertheless knew that big-all. But what I didn't know was that after being a member of this forum for more that nine years, was that your user was 'big -all' and not 'Big-Al' as I had always thought it was. :oops: :oops:

As a hot air balloonist who never got off the ground, I nevertheless knew that big-all. But what I didn't know was that after being a member of this forum for more that nine years, was that your user was 'big -all' and not 'Big-Al' as I had always thought it was. :oops: :oops:

its meant to be an abbreviation for alan so your thinking is correct but when i put al it didn't look right almost lazy hence the all
rather than all as the all encompassing greater being it may look like

shhhh! may be your meter is at fault. :eek:

Up to last year I lived in a semi-detached which alway's seemed to be cold then last November I downsized to a terrace and I've found I've hardly had the heating on at all Maybe the neighbours are heating mine with residual heat through the wall's I'm not sure. Anyway I won't pretend I live in a twelve bed mansion with room for a pony that peterperfection muppet used to do on here :LOL: :LOL: (He didn't seem to ever return from mexico did he) :LOL: :LOL:

I live in a street with 24 other identical semi-detached houses and almost all have extended to add a couple of extra bedrooms. Only 2 of us have the CH stat in the living room and the others have it in the hall. Have no idea why this is so, it was the builders decision. But I do know that the 2 of us with the stat in the living room pay much, much, less, that those with it in the hall but I really dont know why. I pay £13 less than the other stat-in-living-room-guy, and £25-£40 less than the others in the street. Again I dont know why but who cares? :D

PS Not a faulty meter because we have a new one with no change in gas useage.

shouldn't be paying anything now (service charge notwithstanding), me boilers broken!!

Sponsored Links
Back