Graze on copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was drilling holes in kitchen cabinet. The drill slipped and there's a graze on a water pipe(15mm copper pipe). The grace caused a sharp bit on pipe however it's not leaking and I wanted to know if I should just leave it or do anything

Sponsored Links
A scratch isn't an issue, a graze that has gouged a groove or any sort of channel, i would want to repair. Easy for me to say though :)
Depends on your diy skills, but it could just be a simple case of cutting the pipe across the damaged area and going over it with a straight or slip fitting and solder it up. If you have no soldering gear, a compression no 1should be fine.

Mick

Sponsored Links
Rub it down so you smooth out the rough spots, put some solder on it, then wipe a piece of moleskin over it.

Rub it down so you smooth out the rough spots, put some solder on it, then wipe a piece of moleskin over it.
:rolleyes:....turn it in FFS.
I would take a bet that you've never seen a moleskin (fustion cloth) let alone wiped any joints....next you'll be talking about plumbers black..
If that worried then cut a section out and repair.

No idea what plumbers black is, but I do have a piece of moleskin (somewhere) that I used to wipe lead joints with - God, that was years ago.

No idea what plumbers black is, but I do have a piece of moleskin (somewhere) that I used to wipe lead joints with - God, that was years ago.
So you've wiped underhand/rolled/knuckle/branch joints without the use of plumbers black??
Taft joints then plumbers black not required...
What metal were you using?

Oh God steel, that was so long ago, I really can't remember how I used to do it. I stepped in to give a possible response, that was all.

Can't remember???..how can one forget how to wipe lead joints??...same deal when lead caulking cast iron LCC....surely you haven't forgotten the pot and ladle?...maybe packing the yarn might ring some bells?..squirrels tail?

Nope, I've never used a pot and ladle, as I've never had to work on cast iron. I only talk on things I've done, and whilst my experience on wiping lead pipes may have been minimal, it isn't BS. For you, it's obviously things you've done on a regular basis, whilst with myself, it something I've done as needed by the situation.

What was the reason for wiping the lead joint?...what type of joint were you wiping?
What do you do for a living?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back