Grr, get this top off?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
following my earlier "success" I had a look at a stiff tap in the utility room.

This one has a cross-head, the coloured spot on top doesn't appear to prise out, but I took out the grub-screw from the collar just under the handle, and gave it some good taps with a two pairs of adjustable spanners.

Can't get the top off, so can't remove the shroud, so can't get the innards out.

What's the best way?

View media item 1320
View media item 1321

Sponsored Links
If i remember rightly you lift shroud put spanner on brass hex and turn tap clockwise till the star handle prizes off ...hopefuly

Hi John.
Put it back on tap body then two pieces of wood one either side of the stem between the handle and the shroud, tighten tap handle.

HTH

thanks for the idea. I just gave it a try... but no. the shroud started to distort under pressure, but the handle didn't shift at all.

It does not look scaly.

Sponsored Links
Give it a squirt of wd40 (in-between stem and taptop) let it soak a bit then give the top a good wack away from shroud. Mind your fingers though.

I once met a tap whose handle refused to come off. It was cheaper to replace the tap than to continue ars*ng around with it.

Some others have been difficult, but always (with that one exception) succumbed to one of these:

slide13.jpg

It's not worth faffing about too much. You could try heating the cross up, but if that doesn't work these are only a tenner:

p1089812_l.jpg

or a new pair of basic taps not a lot more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back